Libec Zoom Controller for EX3 Promo - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Carroll,

I have heard that the latest Sony Firmware updates have fixed the jerky issue on 3rd party zoom controllers. Go to Sony Pro website Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions and check the latest firmware vs what your EX camcorder has. You may need to update your camcorder.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Spoonser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
I don't see where it tells you what the latest firmware is. It only shows Clip Browser and other such software when you search it under Software and Firmware support.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #32
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I don't see where it tells you what the latest firmware is. It only shows Clip Browser and other such software when you search it under Software and Firmware support.

John
It's sort of obscure but you can eventually get to a point where you search by camera model. At that point a search on PMW-EX1 yields the downloadable files for clip transfer and drivers. A search on PMW-EX-1R yields nothing.

Here's how to find the firmware section: Look under the tab "Microsites" and go to "XDCAM EX". Select the tab "Service and Support" then the "Software and Parts" on the right side of the new page. Select "Software and Firmware" on the new page. You can then search by model number.

I thought I would try a call to Sony Service tomorrow to see if they know anything.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #33
Major Player

Sony's fix on the "jerky" zoom issue will be (in my view) to prevent zooming below *8* zoom speed (which they have done on the EX1R). It will severely hamper creep-creep-creep zooming that you get when you are zooming in around say 3 or 4 on the zoom speed scale. I would think long and hard before rushing in to get the firmware update to fix this issue.

I hope to be proven wrong and find that Sony has actually fixed the problem rather than reducing the functionality and the ability to do creep zooming which is so important to many camera ops.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by john peterson View Post
i don't see where it tells you what the latest firmware is. It only shows clip browser and other such software when you search it under software and firmware support.

John

ex1 latest firmware v1.14_0543 my cam was updated in late oct
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #35
Contributor

I can report that the Libec controller solved the "herky-jerky" zoom problem that arouse with my EX1R and the Zoe controller.

While the Zoe worked perfectly with the EX1, when used with my new EX1R it had frequent "stumbles" when zooming in. This problem has gone away with the Libec.

The Libec is a well-built unit as is the Zoe. I personally like the layout of the Zoe better. For example, the Return function on the Zoe is a separate button whereas on the Libec you need to change a switch setting. But the Libec performs.

Carroll Lam
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #36
Major Player

Just placed an order can't wait to (hopefully) get rid of the "notchy" zoom and say goodbye to my Manfrotto zoom control

Thanks Tapeworks!
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #37
Major Player

I'm glad I read the entire thread, I was about to hit the order button at B&H on one of these puppies, but then I saw where the $165 price was extended through the end of December through Tapeworks. It's $199 at B&H so that's worth the savings. Gracias you people. You know who you are.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #38
Major Player

The Australian agent for Libec is G.D.B. International. I have just checked their website and it says that the ZC-9EX is discontinued and also that the unit is NOT suitable for EX3's sold in Australia. Both comments came as a bit of a surprise.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #39
Major Player

Well I put the Libec zoom controller through it's paces. Very impressed.

The industrial design of it is really well done it terms of how it is sculpted. It really works well with the hand movements we do when zooming. It just felt so natural. I expected to go through an unlearning of my patterns from using a Manfrotto while getting used to the Libec but that was not an issue.

Notchiness in the slow zooms was gone. I had the camera on and in motion for 4.5 hours. No snags and the ramping was nice and smooth. It was a joy to use.

These puppies are drop shipped from Libec so maybe Tapeworks Texas still has an angle on them at the reduced price. We know they have been discontinued so Libec will want to unload them till they are gone.
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #40
Major Player

Any chance Tapeworks. extended that sale yet again? I only heard of the ZC-9EX today. Looks good.

Is it true that they are discontinued?
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Hey there Chad,
Call Scott Cantrell at tapeworks-super nice guy.
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM   #42
Major Player

Anyone else solve the jerky zoom problem by buying a Libec controller in place of some other zoom controller??
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:12 PM   #43
Inner Circle

I have the Libec ZC-9EX for my EX1.

But incase anyone is interested this also works on my PMW-350 with stock lens. Pull the adapter plug and just plug in the lens.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #44
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Anyone else solve the jerky zoom problem by buying a Libec controller in place of some other zoom controller??
Look at message #35 in this thread.

Carroll Lam
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
The Australian agent for Libec is G.D.B. International. I have just checked their website and it says that the ZC-9EX is discontinued and also that the unit is NOT suitable for EX3's sold in Australia. Both comments came as a bit of a surprise.
Can someone confirm whether or not the ZC-9EX works well with the EX3?

I am based in The Netherlands. Is there a difference in country models? Would it be different in Australia from Europe?
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds