Libec Zoom Controller for EX3 Promo - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #46
Major Player

I bought one of these from Scott for my ex3 and it works perfect and it is well made too.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #47
Major Player

Scott says there are some issues with some ex3 models.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #48
Trustee

Chad,
Scott is helpful and supportive, but also sometimes wrong. He told me it did not work with the new PMW350, which turned out to be incorrect. Works perfectly with it.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #49
Major Player

I talked to Scott before I bought mine, he said nothing about issues with ex3s.
Everything works just fine with mine and the way it should.
I find if hard to believe that the ex3 differs between countries since the firmware versions don't seem to be country specific. But who knows for sure.

My advice is to go with your gut feeling, if you don't feel comfortable buying a certain product - don't. I am glad to say that I have done that in the past and I have been very happy with the hardware I have purchased with no regrets. Peace of mind is important.

That my 2 cents or shillings or what ever...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #50
Major Player

My Libec works very well with my EX-3
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Scott says there are some issues with some ex3 models.
How many different models of EX3's are there?

;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #52
Major Player

Some "models" might be from early runs and have different firmware etc.
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #53
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Hello DVinfo! Been a while since I visited this thread! Glad to see alot of you responding on your personal experience with Libec's ZC-9EX zoom controller.

The ZC9EX zoom controllers that were, and actually still are, on special from TapeWorks for $165 are being offered at discouned pricing from Libec because they are an older model. Per Libec these ZC-9EX zoom controllers work on both the EX1 and EX1R
On these older models, Libec's wiring was not capable to work with some of the newer EX3's because Sony had changed the firmware in the EX3 around November 2009. Any EX3 purchased before Nov 09 should work just fine with these older ZC9EX zoom controllers.
This is dependant upon the firmware update on the EX3 as well as it only applies to the older batch of controllers.
This information was relayed to me directly from Libec who are advertising the older batch of zoom controllers to only work with the EX1 and 1R.

The new batch of ZC-9EX zoom controllers are advertised to work on the EX1, EX1R and EX3 which sell for $199 from Tapeworks Texas Inc

Niether the older or newer batches of Libec's controllers are being "advertised" to work with the PMW350

Therefore, when I stated to Tom that the controller was not supposed to work with the PMW350, this was due to Libec had not authorized/advertised for it to work. Not to mention that I had not heard of anyone trying it on the PMW350, so I could not even speculate if it would work. Tom, Great to hear that it works! With that being said, I was not "wrong" in my statement, just providing the only information made available to me as related from the Manufacture.

There was one time that I thought I was wrong, but then I found out that I was mistaken.

As always, I am available here at Tapeworks toll free 866-827-3489 if I can assist further.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Chad,
Scott is helpful and supportive, but also sometimes wrong. He told me it did not work with the new PMW350, which turned out to be incorrect. Works perfectly with it.

I found Scott to be knowledgeable and very helpful. He was not "wrong" about any info he gave me. I have my Libec ZC9EX shipping up to Humboldt, and I got a great price. I'm happy.
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #55
Major Player

"On these older models, Libec's wiring was not capable to work with some of the newer EX3's because Sony had changed the firmware in the EX3 around November 2009. Any EX3 purchased before Nov 09 should work just fine with these older ZC9EX zoom controllers."

Scott, does this mean if I do a firmware update, my libec might no longer work with my EX-3?? I bought this camera in march of 09
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #56
Major Player

My concern, Ed, is if this the firmware change makes the Libec inoperable then it should affect both new and old EX3's.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #57
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Ed, I just spoke with Libec and you are correct, if you upgrade your EX3 to the newest firmware update, you "may" have problems with the older ZC9EX zoom controller you purchased. If and when this happens, please contact me and I will see what I can do to assist!

Andrew, if I understand your concern correctly, the compatibility issue is only with the older models of the ZC9EX woking with the newest Nov 09 firmware update on the EX3's.

Scott Cantrell
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #58
Major Player

I Just got my libec ZC-9EX and it works great! I can creep very slowly - more-so than the zoom rocker on the camera itself. No stutters - just slow as can be. Thanks Scott! I still need that invoice.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #59
Major Player

Controller does not connect to EX3

Just received my new ZC-9EX Libec Zoom Controller. The supplied EX connector does however not fit on my EX3. The Female connector on the camera has it's 8 pins in a circle, whereas the Male on the controllers cable has 7 of the pins in a circle and 1 pin in the centre. I also believe the sizes are different. Has anyone experiened the same? Did I get a wrong connector or has the design of the EX3 changed lately?
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #60
Major Player

I think you just don't use the extension cable that breaks away. I could be wrong, but that may be it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds