EX-1 board upgrade: Board DPR-289 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Trustee

EX-1 board upgrade: Board DPR-289

Has anyone had Sony replace a board # DPR-289 in their EX-1? I think it might also have just been called a main power board.

I'm curious because I just got hit with a $2000 repair bill for replacing that board. As far as I can figure out they say I may have created a spark by changing a battery while not turning the camera off first. That might have happened as my camera died when changing a battery.

However I have talked to quite a few repair people and techs in the last few weeks and they have all shaken their heads in disbelief and said that a camera should not fail because you changed a batt with the switch left on - people do it all the time. As I understand it the new board (DPR-289) has more voltage protection in it. This makes me question whether the old board I had was really inadaquate in the first place.

So I'm wondering whether the board failure I had has been common, and also whether Sony has been replacing the board as a matter of course when people get their other service work done like upgrading the firmware.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Sony Baloney?

I know that (while under warranty) they replaced the power board on mine when they had it in the first time (at no cost). I sent it in then because it would not work with battery power, only by power to the external jack, either power supply or external battery. They replaced the rear panel as well (the infamous "worn paint" problem) and slapped a sticker under the viewfinder pivot saying "warranty void if removed." I had hoped the board replacement would fix the battery drain issue, but it did not. I always remove the battery after shutting the camera off, and replace it before powering up. Sucks.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Ronn,

Do you know the number of the board they replaced? Also under what circumstances did it happen that you couldn't use the battery?
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Major Player

They replaced my board as well, but my paperwork doesn't give an itemized list with the part numbers.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Dave, Why was it sent in to them?
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Major Player

You name it...I had ALL the problems including dirt and crud inside the lens. The initial trip to the shop was for the paint wear issue, but the junk inside the lens also became apparent. They upgraded the internal board(s) while it was in the shop.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
I know that (while under warranty) they replaced the power board on mine when they had it in the first time (at no cost).
Same here; in the report I had this said to have been replaced:

A1363311B - MCB, RE-250 COMPL.

A1363312B - MCB, RE-251 COMPL.

So, no DPR-289, apparently.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Trustee

Piotr , what was yours in for?
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Just the general overhaul, Lenny. But of course the firmware was upgraded, the battery drain minimized (though not eliminated completely), etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds