Whats causes weird lines and artifacts with EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Whats causes weird lines and artifacts with EX1

I was bored today, so I decided to go outside and shoot some video of my 1995 3000GT SL.
The day had a thin overcast and the sun was in the west casting a golden light accross the sky.

If one looks close at the video they will see weird artifact type throughout the video.
Like when I am slowly zooming into the chrome wheel, there is a weird movement in the top center of the wheel.

Whats cause these lines and issues??
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Trustee

It looks like aliasing, which happens when the analog world is digitized. With high def you normally do not notice it. But when you are zooming in on that shiny surface, the eye may start noticing the gradual changes in the aliasing from one frame to another. What was your shutter speed?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am learning how to use my SONY EX1 lol :)

Shutter speed was /60
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Trustee

Aliasing has been with motion pictures pretty much from the start. Even if film was analog in capturing the image, it has always been digital in the temporal dimension (i.e., breaking the motion into individual frames). The most notable example of early aliasing was the wheels stopping or moving backwards during a chase.

There is not much you can do about it. You might shoot at a higher resolution, such as 4K and then downsample it to 1080p, at least that is how anti-aliasing is done in computer generated images. Of course, you cannot do that with the EX1 or the EX3.

You may try shooting from a different angle and see if that helps. You may try a slower shutter speed so it all gets fuzzier. Or you may just not worry about it as your typical audience is going to be so wrapped up in the story they will not notice such details. And you will give some nerd the satisfaction of writing about it in the mistakes section of your imdb listing. :)
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Could it be..

I wonder if adjusting the crispening setting or detail setting would help reduce this aliasing.
What were your detail and crispening settings?
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmmm. Does this problem appear in the source material straight from the camera? Or is it only present after re-sizing?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds