DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 stronger plate and new shoulder mount update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467782-ex1-stronger-plate-new-shoulder-mount-update.html)

Olof Ekbergh November 15th, 2009 10:18 AM

EX1 stronger plate and new shoulder mount update

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of the latest developments.

First photo is of an extra wide wing for large double wireless mic hot shoe setup.

There are now two experimental version of the NanoFlash mount, one on a removable swiveling side arm. And another on an arm centering NanoFlash on the centerline behind the camera leaving room for large batteries in front of NanoFlash. This is by special request for use in helicopter shooting in conjunction with multiple gyro mount.

I am also developing a quick release shoulder brace with optional large battery plate. This plate system can be used on most "mid-sized" cameras, my Z1 is posing with the shoulder mount in these snaps.

All the finished parts will be black of course.

If you are interested in these please contact me. Or post any comments here.

Thanks

olof@westsideav.com

Hiram Yates November 15th, 2009 08:43 PM

Any sort of handle planned on the front to hold the camera up with? Or is the plan to use the hand grip on camera? Seems with the L-Bracket on the side that it might get in the way of doing this, but I could be wrong... Let me know, I'm definitely interested. Also, does that base plate just screw into the existing or do you pull body screws from the camera to mount it?

Olof Ekbergh November 15th, 2009 09:13 PM

Hiram,

The lens handle on the EX1 camera is a couple inches in front of the "wing". Nothing on the camera is blocked by the wing and it does not extend further than the lens handle.

In addition to the 1/4" screw into the existing bottom plate there are an additional 3 2mm screws towards the back of the plate that are replaced with new longer screws I supply that fasten the stronger plate to the camera frame.

It is possible to add a matte box onto the front of the plate and I am working on removable set of handles on either side of the camera, that are adjustable (they will rotate from below the camera to above the camera and will lock in any position in between. Stay tuned for photos of that setup.

James Huenergardt November 17th, 2009 10:17 AM

I was thinking that 2 screws to hold the shoulder mount on that wing might be a better idea.

That way, it won't wiggle or come loose, like what happens to the EX1 now.

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 11:10 AM

Olof built pictures # 9 & 10 for me and I am very pleased with the quality and how well it functions. The stiffness of the bottom plate is a needed addition and now being able to add either the nano off the back or to the side simplifies my kit bag.

Thanks Olof great work.

Olof Ekbergh November 17th, 2009 01:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 1448543)
I was thinking that 2 screws to hold the shoulder mount on that wing might be a better idea.

That way, it won't wiggle or come loose, like what happens to the EX1 now.

Hi James you are absolutely right. That was the first mock up for testing.

Here are some shots of a few mods on shoulder brace.

You will notice that you can now pivot the brace so that you can balance the camera let to right. It makes a big difference. I also will use softer rubber that is straight, that way it is more comfortable in any yaw position. The yaw adjustment suggestion came from MJ Vilardi, thanks.

I am refining it more. the back screw will probably be permanent and the front will be a stud with a plastic thumbscrew for quick release and to keep you from loosing screws.

If you want more info and see more photos. Check my web page about the EX1 plate system:
EX1_Base_Plate - Page 1

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 02:16 PM

Olof is it possible to have the shoulder brace and still have my Nano support? Also with the shoulder brace can the HD-SDI connection come on and off easy?

Olof Ekbergh November 17th, 2009 02:38 PM

Paul,

I am talking with Dan at Convergent Design and I think I will have a NanoFlash here soon to play with. I am also getting a new EX1R soon I am told.

I want to make sure the shoulder brace will work with the new camera. It also has an HDMI about where the thumbscrew is now. I will need the camera to figure out the exact locations of fasteners and to keep it simple to get the BNC connectors on and off.

I have every intention of attaching the NanoFlash to the shoulder rig. I also want to make it easy to take the shoulder rig off, for transport.

Tom Daigon November 17th, 2009 02:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Its interesting how needs generate similar solutions. Here are some pix from the shoulder mount I have from DM Industries.

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 03:31 PM

Thanks Olof please keep me posted since the shoulder mount would be a nice addition.