DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 with Sony PHU60K hard drive unit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467787-ex1-sony-phu60k-hard-drive-unit.html)

Ian Campbell November 15th, 2009 12:28 PM

EX1 with Sony PHU60K hard drive unit?

Has anyone tried recording with the Sony PHU60K 60GB hard drive unit, which was made as a dedicated accessory for the EX line of cameras? Someone is selling one used localy to me, at a fair price. I am tempted, BUT . . . it seems when researching the PHU60K it's gotten really bad reviews. This, however, may be due to some EX1's running on older firmware when the PHU60K requires the latest firmware to work with the EX1.

The odd thing is that, from what I see, Sony doesn't show the PHU60K listed as an accessory for the EX cameras on their site -- even though you can search for it -- and it is an available item.

Sony does, however, show the small MRU (HVR-MRC1K - CompactFlash recording unit) which comes standard with the HVR-Z7U as an EX optional accorssory to the EX1R and EX3, etc. Why? From what I see it will only record an HDV stream and standard def HD Cam material -- not a HQ 35mbits EX stream.

So, if anyone has had experience with the PHU60K, I'd be interested in how it performs. I'd also like to know why Sony would consider the HDV related MRU a true accessory to the EX line.

Thanks!

Ian

Mark Slocombe November 15th, 2009 06:46 PM

We got ours used too, shot some long form discussions for BBC (4 hours), works fine. Travelled with it, no probs. EX1 hotshoe mount is a little flakey.

Ian Campbell November 15th, 2009 06:54 PM

Hi, Mark . . .

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm happy to hear you had good success with your EX cam when using the PHU60K. I think I'll get the unit, if the guy still has it for sale. Thanks again for your input!

Ian

PS: Any relation to the great British D.O.P. Douglas Slocombe?

Mark Slocombe November 16th, 2009 01:54 AM

Also when I researched the unit, all other reports were good; pay attention to Sony info about flying with material on the unit (not recommended over a certain altitude) but we flew internationally and the footage was fine.

Am amazed how infrequently anyone makes the Slocombe connection! But no, he's not my dad! He does however live on the same square as my wife's friend, the great great grandaughter of Charles Darwin!

Paul Inglis November 16th, 2009 07:08 AM

The Sony PHU-60K has had quite a bit of unfair publicity in my opinion. I have used mine with out fault since I got it with my camera last year. There are a few of things to be aware of though;

1. You cannot overcrank using the PHU-60K
2. Altitude as mentioned

I use my predominately for interview work. It keeps that SxS cards free for other tasks during the days shoot.

Alan McInnes November 16th, 2009 03:19 PM

I have had the PHU-60K for over a year now as I do a lot of long form events here at the school where I manage the web site. The only two problems I've experienced was once a small glitch in the video of a recording. It was just a microsecond hiccup and I've never had the problem since. The other problem was that the cable connection to the unit is fragile and broke with just regular handling. To give Sony full credit, the dealer I bought it from sent it off and I received a new unit. I do plan on buying two 32 gigabyte cards next year to replace the PHU-60K as I am always a little nervous about hard drives vs. memory cards.

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 11:14 AM

Ian I would recommend you look at the Convergent Designs Nano instead of the Sony unit. I can not see being limited to 35Mbps and 4.2.0 when there are options that really make the EX line of cameras shine.

Olof Ekbergh November 17th, 2009 07:03 PM

I agree with Paul. The Nano is the way to go.

I have a PHU-60, and I rarely use it. When I get my Nano, I doubt I will use much else including SxS.

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 07:13 PM

Since I have been shooting with my Nano I have not even looked at the clips on the S&S cards. Then Nano is years ahead of its time.

Paul Inglis November 18th, 2009 04:42 AM

The nanoFLASH is great for sure (I have one myself) but its one heck of a price jump from a S/H PHU-60K though!

Paul Cronin November 18th, 2009 07:42 AM

True Paul it is a price jump. But does the PHU-60K improve the picture quality with better color spacing and a choice of bit rates? Also compact flash cards are only getting cheaper.

Then again you could be very happy with the 4.2.0 35Mbps from the camera and for that the PHU-60K could be the right choice. Nice to have options.