EX1 with Sony PHU60K hard drive unit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 with Sony PHU60K hard drive unit?

Has anyone tried recording with the Sony PHU60K 60GB hard drive unit, which was made as a dedicated accessory for the EX line of cameras? Someone is selling one used localy to me, at a fair price. I am tempted, BUT . . . it seems when researching the PHU60K it's gotten really bad reviews. This, however, may be due to some EX1's running on older firmware when the PHU60K requires the latest firmware to work with the EX1.

The odd thing is that, from what I see, Sony doesn't show the PHU60K listed as an accessory for the EX cameras on their site -- even though you can search for it -- and it is an available item.

Sony does, however, show the small MRU (HVR-MRC1K - CompactFlash recording unit) which comes standard with the HVR-Z7U as an EX optional accorssory to the EX1R and EX3, etc. Why? From what I see it will only record an HDV stream and standard def HD Cam material -- not a HQ 35mbits EX stream.

So, if anyone has had experience with the PHU60K, I'd be interested in how it performs. I'd also like to know why Sony would consider the HDV related MRU a true accessory to the EX line.

Thanks!

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

We got ours used too, shot some long form discussions for BBC (4 hours), works fine. Travelled with it, no probs. EX1 hotshoe mount is a little flakey.
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, Mark . . .

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm happy to hear you had good success with your EX cam when using the PHU60K. I think I'll get the unit, if the guy still has it for sale. Thanks again for your input!

Ian

PS: Any relation to the great British D.O.P. Douglas Slocombe?
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Also when I researched the unit, all other reports were good; pay attention to Sony info about flying with material on the unit (not recommended over a certain altitude) but we flew internationally and the footage was fine.

Am amazed how infrequently anyone makes the Slocombe connection! But no, he's not my dad! He does however live on the same square as my wife's friend, the great great grandaughter of Charles Darwin!
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #5
Major Player

The Sony PHU-60K has had quite a bit of unfair publicity in my opinion. I have used mine with out fault since I got it with my camera last year. There are a few of things to be aware of though;

1. You cannot overcrank using the PHU-60K
2. Altitude as mentioned

I use my predominately for interview work. It keeps that SxS cards free for other tasks during the days shoot.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have had the PHU-60K for over a year now as I do a lot of long form events here at the school where I manage the web site. The only two problems I've experienced was once a small glitch in the video of a recording. It was just a microsecond hiccup and I've never had the problem since. The other problem was that the cable connection to the unit is fragile and broke with just regular handling. To give Sony full credit, the dealer I bought it from sent it off and I received a new unit. I do plan on buying two 32 gigabyte cards next year to replace the PHU-60K as I am always a little nervous about hard drives vs. memory cards.
Alan McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ian I would recommend you look at the Convergent Designs Nano instead of the Sony unit. I can not see being limited to 35Mbps and 4.2.0 when there are options that really make the EX line of cameras shine.
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Sponsor: Westside AV

I agree with Paul. The Nano is the way to go.

I have a PHU-60, and I rarely use it. When I get my Nano, I doubt I will use much else including SxS.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Since I have been shooting with my Nano I have not even looked at the clips on the S&S cards. Then Nano is years ahead of its time.
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #10
Major Player

The nanoFLASH is great for sure (I have one myself) but its one heck of a price jump from a S/H PHU-60K though!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

True Paul it is a price jump. But does the PHU-60K improve the picture quality with better color spacing and a choice of bit rates? Also compact flash cards are only getting cheaper.

Then again you could be very happy with the 4.2.0 35Mbps from the camera and for that the PHU-60K could be the right choice. Nice to have options.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds