DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 w ST-7 shoulder mount and Nano Flash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467882-ex3-w-st-7-shoulder-mount-nano-flash.html)

Joe Yaggi November 17th, 2009 08:26 AM

EX3 w ST-7 shoulder mount and Nano Flash

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Folks,

I wanted to share some pics and thoughts on our EX3 rig with the ST-7 shoulder mount and Nano Flash. I feel the rig is coming together though I'm still not totally satisfied yet. Some good things to note:

1. The ST-7 is pretty good ergonomically and it has a Sony battery mount so as long as you're using it, no need for a special mount for the full size Sony battery.
2. We made a series of breakout cables that are taped down to prevent them getting in the way and keep them safe. It's a cheap, easy thing to do.
3. Nano mounted on the back cold shoe mid-range. This is good for balance as the camera is presently back heavy. I think this position could make it easier to monitor the Nano as well.
4. The rig has a good shoulder mount camera feel while being a bit lighter than a full size shoulder mount.

Things I'm concerned about:

1. The balance is back heavy. Once I have a matte box (thinking about a clamp on Vocas as the ST-7 can't accept rails) and a broadcast lens (looking for ideas and feedback if you have favorites), I think the balance thing will work itself out.
2. Nano leads. I'm talking to CD about cabling for the Nano. They're very keen to help (great customer service). My concern is the power lead which we cannibalized from the AC adapter. I don't think it'll last as it is in rugged conditions.
3. How to power Nano if no shoulder mount? Is there a way to power the Nano Flash off the camera without external batteries?
4. What is the best cable for the HD/SDi to Nano?

Overall I think it's getting there. We purchased a Kata BP-502 backpack and fitted it out with foam rather than regular dividers which, while it cuts down on available space, does help protect the viewfinder. I've placed it in the overhead bin of a 737-400 but had to take the laptop out of the back pocket.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Joe

Andrew Stone November 17th, 2009 07:04 PM

Joe you should be able to find a "rails" solution that attaches to the tripod mount that doesn't interfere with the shoulder mount unit or you when operating it. True Lens Service out of the UK has some rails solutions that have a shim bit that goes under the camera. There are probably others. ZGC sells Chrosziel rails stuff, they MAY have something. Might want to look into a Century zoom thru .75 wide angle in place of a broadcast lens. Save yourself a ton of money. It will also add the weight you want to the front of the rig.

Bill Ward November 18th, 2009 12:16 PM

Joe:

CD makes a D-tap to locking Hirose power cable for the unit, so if the Sony battery plate has the D-Tap, I'd go that way.

Paul Inglis November 18th, 2009 12:28 PM

Cool! This is the same as my rig! Asked the very same question here Protech ST-7, Sony EX-3 and Matte Box?. No replies though!

What my rig includes Am I missing anything?.

I am looking at the Gensus rails here Genus Professional Adaptor Bars System

Quote:

The Genus Professional Adaptor Bars System (GMB/P) is specifically designed to cater to the ENG camera market. Clicking snugly and securely onto a Sony V-mount plate or its equivalent, the GMB/P serves the dual function of a bar system as well as a camera adaptor plate. The GMB/P comes supplied with 215mm support bars which can be removed when not in use, leaving the plate attached to the underside of the camera.
Not yet ordered it has my still thinking about the rig that I want.

Paul Inglis November 18th, 2009 12:33 PM

Oh, forget to say that I am waiting for Convergent Design to bring out a mount that'll enable the nanoFLASH to mount with the V-Lock Battery. I have the nano running from the XLR at the moment but also have a D-Tap cable to run from the battery when I have an onboard light. Both very good cables even if it is a little steep in price!

Andrew Stone November 18th, 2009 07:02 PM

Paul that rails device looks good. Simple but does the trick.

Paul Inglis November 19th, 2009 06:17 AM

It does, doesn’t it. I am just trying to determine whether the mattebox will fit correctly without using nun knickers with my ST-7 and V-Gadgets reinforced plate.

Joe Yaggi November 19th, 2009 10:55 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this. I'm super keen to solve the matte box and rails issue so I'll follow up on any and all leads. I'll probably be in the UK soon as well since alot of my clients/collab partners are based there.

On the wide angle, I did buy the Century Optics .75 HD wide angle zoom through lens. The problem there is it has barrel distortion big time so it's not something I can leave on the camera.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1448768)
Joe you should be able to find a "rails" solution that attaches to the tripod mount that doesn't interfere with the shoulder mount unit or you when operating it. True Lens Service out of the UK has some rails solutions that have a shim bit that goes under the camera. There are probably others. ZGC sells Chrosziel rails stuff, they MAY have something. Might want to look into a Century zoom thru .75 wide angle in place of a broadcast lens. Save yourself a ton of money. It will also add the weight you want to the front of the rig.

Joe Yaggi November 19th, 2009 10:58 PM

Hey Paul,

Cool, I'm not alone!!

That bottom plate mount does look interesting. Are you planning to buy? And if so, what matte box would you use with it?

Thanks!

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1449128)
Cool! This is the same as my rig! Asked the very same question here Protech ST-7, Sony EX-3 and Matte Box?. No replies though!

What my rig includes Am I missing anything?.

I am looking at the Gensus rails here Genus Professional Adaptor Bars System

Not yet ordered it has my still thinking about the rig that I want.

Gerry Curtis November 20th, 2009 05:45 PM

lens

Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting your findings!

Sorry to hijack the thread but in addition to looking for a shoulder mount solution I'm looking for a wide angle lens. Are you experiencing any vignetting with the Century Optics as past users have reported?

Cheers,
Gerry

Joe Yaggi November 20th, 2009 07:15 PM

Hi Gerry,

Yes, I had some serious barrel distortion with the Century Optics .75 HD zoom through wide angle lens. I use it if I have too but can't keep it on the camera.

I'll try and dig up a jpeg from that particular shoot and post it.

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Curtis (Post 1450291)
Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting your findings!

Sorry to hijack the thread but in addition to looking for a shoulder mount solution I'm looking for a wide angle lens. Are you experiencing any vignetting with the Century Optics as past users have reported?

Cheers,
Gerry

Joe Yaggi November 20th, 2009 07:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Paul,

What are nun knickers?

You'd mentioned in another post looking for a bag. I'm using the Kata BP-502 backpack. I got it in the overhead on a 737-400 the other day (with laptop out of the back pocket). Here's a shot:

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1449513)
It does, doesn’t it. I am just trying to determine whether the mattebox will fit correctly without using nun knickers with my ST-7 and V-Gadgets reinforced plate.

Paul Inglis November 21st, 2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

What are nun knickers?
‘Nun's Knickers’ is just a nickname for flexible universal lens donuts.

Quote:

That bottom plate mount does look interesting. Are you planning to buy? And if so, what matte box would you use with it?
I am looking to buy. The problem is just which matte box to get for my rig.

Quote:

You'd mentioned in another post looking for a bag. I'm using the Kata BP-502 backpack.
Thanks! Will look into it.

Thanh Nguyen November 21st, 2009 06:49 AM

just wondering where can i get that yellow foam that you cut out for your backpack. I look at local store here but don't know where to find them thank you.

Olof Ekbergh November 21st, 2009 10:03 AM

Pretty much any upholstery store will have that kind of foam.

It can also be ordered very easily on the WEB, this is a real good supplier.

McMaster-Carr