DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   What to cut with the EX-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467988-what-cut-ex-1-a.html)

Dan Gunn November 18th, 2009 02:20 PM

What to cut with the EX-1

I need a small static camera that I can edit with the EX-1. My editing system can handle everything but I am concerned about the "look".
Does anyone have any experience with the Sony HDR-SR12 or something like it?

Thanks

Craig Seeman November 18th, 2009 03:54 PM

Well if inexpensive cameras looked like more expensive cameras the need for buying the better camera wouldn't be there.

That said, I find the the Canon Vixia series works well enough. Look at HF-S11 at the more expensive end or HF200 on the lower priced end. I like that it shoots 1080p30 whereas the Sony cameras only shoot 1080i

Dan Gunn November 19th, 2009 07:36 AM

I don't expect the same quality but it needs to look like it was shot on the same day and in the same room. I will check out the Canons, maybe a store will let me run some tape. I really was hoping that someone had already been through this exercise and had practical experience. I do not want to leave an expensive camera unattended in some of the areas I work.

Thanks

Craig Seeman November 19th, 2009 08:05 AM

Already have. That's why I mention the above. I've used the HF10 and the HF200. I use them most often during press conference or long presentation events.

During press conferences, if a key speaker leaves the main area, I send someone with the Vixia to catch them talking to someone while the EX shoots the next speaker.

When doing presentation events, the Vixia runs around to get audience shots and closeups especially when someone asks questions.

Certainly there's a difference and my eye notices it easily but it still looks good and we can get shots we wouldn't otherwise with a bigger camera given these are often crowded locations.

It seems to be "the" camera lots of other professionals use when they need something very small. Canon seems to be targeting that market as they have ads in many professional video trade publications and the pro (as opposed to consumer) reviewers are all positive about it being the "small cam" they use much the way I use it.

Unless want to jump up the price range for the JVC-HM100 which uses the same codec and costs about half the EX1, the Vixia in the $500-$1200 price range seems to be the best small cam of its type going these days.

Brian Rhodes November 19th, 2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1449233)
Well if inexpensive cameras looked like more expensive cameras the need for buying the better camera wouldn't be there.

That said, I find the the Canon Vixia series works well enough. Look at HF-S11 at the more expensive end or HF200 on the lower priced end. I like that it shoots 1080p30 whereas the Sony cameras only shoot 1080i

I have used the HF-S11 and the HV30 to cut in with the EX1 at several weddings.

Cris Daniels November 19th, 2009 09:23 AM

I agree, we have some of the Canon HF S10's and they look quite good. You can get them to record 23.976 progressive scan if you want to match the Sony frame rates. White balance, everything (I always use the Vortex Cards) and you are good, the footage intercuts nicely. We use the Schneider wide angle adapters to give it less of the camcorder look, they screw onto the 58mm threads of the HF S10. Although you could just use the smaller camera for tighter shots if necessary and skip the wide angle adapter.

Rode makes the StereoVideo Mic if you want a good off camera mic, and they make a small shotgun that works nicely as well, although these will not mount on the proprietary Canon shoe. I use a Stroboframe camera bracket, and mount one of these small shotguns and a LitePanel Micro as an off camera light. Great little system.

Dan Gunn November 19th, 2009 02:23 PM

I just went online and checked out the VIXIA HF S10. Looks good and the price is in line with my needs. I just want it for a back camera to cover me when moving or checking focus, etc.

Thanks

Paul Cronin November 19th, 2009 04:01 PM

I have had the same experience as Craig using the HF10 mixed with my EX1.

Frank Casanova November 19th, 2009 11:06 PM

I've used the Canon HV-30 as a static lock-down wide-shot 3rd camera on a two camera EX1 shoot and it looked very good... and the wide shot helped it to cut well with the Sonys that were mostly on close-ups. It's really a bargain camera.

Paul Inglis November 21st, 2009 10:47 AM

GY-HM100E - Hand-Held 3CCD Solid-State HD Camcorder.

Marcus Durham November 21st, 2009 11:46 AM

The JVC looks nice. Looks similar to the PDX-10/A1 in size.

However those Canons look appealing because of their size. Having a camera around that is small and looks "consumer" is quite appealing. There's times where you need to be discreet and having a EX1 or Z1 around can be a liability. One of those Canon's with a wide angle on it seems really tempting to me.

Not only that but they look so small you could put them in your bag with the EX1 and shoot cutaways during interviews and so on.

Someone needs to talk me out of getting one. I'm starting to think of so many different uses for one of them!

Bob Kerner January 28th, 2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1449233)

I'm pulling this thread out of retirement to ask:

The Canon site info states that these cameras record the 30p footage as 60i. Is there anything you have to do to work with the footage in an XD-Cam timeline; for example, do you have to de-interlace it before you incorporate it with you EX-1 shots?

Thanks

Bob Kerner January 31st, 2010 12:40 PM

Anyone?

Does 30p footage recorded as 60i need to be deinterlaced? I think the answer is yes, but someone told me not to bother, that no one will notice.

Thanks

Craig Seeman January 31st, 2010 12:42 PM

I believe the Vixia is recording PsF. I'm looking at a mixed timeline out to an HDTV for example to see how it looks.

Michael Dontigney February 2nd, 2010 08:10 PM

I'd grab a Panasonic HMC40. The true 1920X1080 CMOS at 24P should cut well with the EX1/3