Sony EX3 vs EX1R Pros & Cons at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony EX3 vs EX1R Pros & Cons

Any one have anylink of a compairtion for this two camera. Im looking to get the Ex3 but the EX1R just came out so just looking to get some more information Pros and Cons about this two. The Ex3 cost more and it look awsome i like the Pro look of the ex3 but don't want the look to fool me so just want to get your opion about the two thank you

EX3=$8400
EX1R=$7800

I like the 1/2" chip for better lowlight and close match with the 5D2
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Well what do you need the camera to do? If you need interchangeable lenses then it has to be the PMW-EX3. The far red problem can be fixed with a Tiffen T1 IR Filter or the B+W 486. If you get a nanoFLASH it has cache record.

Or do you need the option of recording in SD and HD? If so, then the EX1R would be your choice.

Determine what you need the camera to do then pick the camera that does what you need (within reason of course).

i.e. the PMW-EX3 should mounts better than the PMW-EX1. So question one is do you need a camera that can be shoulder-mounted. So many questions, with so many answers.

Try not to get too hung up on the latest and lose sight of what you need to accomplish.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Major Player

If you'll be lighting a lot of interiors interviews, then the large screen on the EX-3 is nice if you do not have a monitor to work with.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Wrangler

Do you mean the LCD panel Brian? To the best of my knowledge, they are the same on both cameras. The EX3 turns it into a viewfinder with an eyepiece, which is very nice, but the LCD panel itself is the same.

I looked at the EX3 but got an EX1 myself. While the EX3 has a lot of great features, it was just too big, awkward and heavy for my personal style.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The EX3 has the ability to work with timecode and genlock much better than the EX1, and dont sell short the LCD eyepiece of the EX3.

I have both cameras and each have their strengths, but the EX3 is a better camera in many ways.

I always use the EX1 on my Glidecam 4000/Smoothshooter rig, it is lighter and easier to work with in that configuration.

The EX3 is better in a multicamera environment, and it is better balanced than the EX1, and makes a better shoulder mount rig if you outfit it ala Redrock grips, etc...

You cant go wrong with either camera, but I have not used the EX1R so I can't comment about that camera specifically.
Cris Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

advantages with the EX3 to me:
- better form factor and much better ergonomics... I know many have "complaints" about that, but to me the form factor, weight and balance of the EX3 is great compared to the "small but heavy camcorder" form factor of the EX1....
- I use mine with a Dionic AB battery (with adapter plate) that adds balance (besides more pro-look) and 12V dtap power connector options... (I use litepanels with a Dtap cable)
- I have over & under crank control (not just switch on & off) on a dedicated dial button...
- If you want cache & SD rec. options (EX1r) you can get it with a nanoflash.... personally I donīt think I'll need SD recording anymore... I have all my masters in great HD for years to come, and can produce superb SD products (DVDs) any time I want (with much better control in post like the possibility of pan & crop in the HD images with my NLE)
- you can change the lens.... and you can even buy an adaptimax adapter (very affordable) and use Nikkor photo lenses .....

my 2 cents....
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Trustee

My take is I would upgrade to EX1R in a second if I could afford it.
EX-3 advantage if you do serious multicam work and need to genlock and or mount a long lens. I've never seen anyone too upset by lack of genlock on the EX-3 but i don't do that much multicam.

Otherwise the EX1R is apparently a touch faster and much faster if you need to use the IR filter on the EX-3.
The improved viewfinder on the EX-3 may eliminate the need for the better viewfinder on the EX-3 and is probably easier to use than the EX-3 esp if you like to go between the flip and the viewfinder.
The EX-1R shoots SD - a gigantic improvement for many people. Other little improvements I can't actually remember at the moment.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Trustee

For what I shoot I find the EX1 better to use than the EX3. The EX3's control layout is a pain to live with. Not that the EX1 is a total joy either but having all the buttons in one place is a step in the right direction for me. The viewfind issue is now solved by the Hoodman Loupe.
For anyone that is genuinely serious about changing lenses or needing to work with a vision switcher then the PMW 350 seems the way to go. The 2/3" sensors opens up a much wider choice of optics. It is a shoulder mount camera out of the box. To date no amount of metal work added to the EX1 or EX3 brings it close to the ease of use and comfort of an out of the box shoulder mount camera. Come to think of it given the money we've spent on rails and rods and bits and pieces to get our EX3's to sort of, kind of, sit on the shoulder we've probably spent enough to have paid for a 350.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
Or do you need the option of recording in SD and HD? If so, then the EX1R would be your choice.
I'll pretty sure it won't be a problem, as Sony has announced that they will be upgrading the camera via the internet in a later date. the SD recording is only a software upgrade, nothing physical has changed. So It would make sense that the EX3 in future would be able to shoot SD via a software up grade.

I'll go with the EX3 if the difference is only $600,
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Wrangler

The price (at B&H) of the EX1R is actually $6,300 vs $8,320 for the EX3, so the difference is about $2,000 instead of $600...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chia View Post
I'll pretty sure it won't be a problem, as Sony has announced that they will be upgrading the camera via the internet in a later date. the SD recording is only a software upgrade, nothing physical has changed. So It would make sense that the EX3 in future would be able to shoot SD via a software up grade.

I'll go with the EX3 if the difference is only $600,
Not heard that yet. If so that'll be cool!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #12
Trustee

I haven't heard anything of the sort about SD being a software upgrade. I have continually been disappointed with what software upgrades are able to achieve ever since the HVX200.
Did you really read that or is it just wishful thinking? Sounds doubtful to me.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #13
Major Player

I meant that they have announced that the new EX1R will have the ability to upgrade via the net. And looking at the Canon XHA1 or G1 which you can just have the option of shooting it in PAL or NTSC after a software upgrade .

and some of us got hold of a EX1 1.11 upgrade via the net to allow the use of the 32gig cards and also shutter speed upgrades , I'm pretty sure it's just a software too.

Unless, they say the chip to record SD is different...
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Major Player

I am sure I have seen a post somewhere stating that SD recording requires an additional DVCAM chip.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #15
Trustee

All they've said as far as I can see is that the EX1R will be upgradeable on the net. Haven't said that about the EX-1 or EX-3 I don't think. I would be very dubious about any claims that Sony hasn't explicitly stated.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds