S&Q motion, EX3 Firmware update V1.05_0094 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

S&Q motion, EX3 Firmware update V1.05_0094

I recently had my EX3 firmware updated. The procedure was free and regarded as part of the warranty. However I could get no idea of what changes to expect. I was relieved to find that my MXM and MXR adapters still work.

Today I used the S&Q motion for the first time since the upgrade and was pleased to find that all I have to do now is to hold the button in for a couple of seconds then adjust the frame rate setting after the blue LED lights up. If I was using 1080 25 P I could overcrank to 30 fps, changing format to 720 25P allowed me to crank up to 60 fps.

The S&Q entry in the menu is now greyed out.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Alistar
I have a three month old EX3 Firmware V1.04_0084 and I am having problems formatting MXM and MXR adapters with 32gb cards my 16 Gb are fine. I have tried ATP and Sandisk with the same results. If you have a 32gb card can u lets me know if you can format 32Gb cards with that firmware without having to turn the camera off and reset.
Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Lance,
I do not have any 32Gb cards only 16Gb. As a matter of interest what happens if you try "all shots delete" instead of formatting?
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Alistar,
Yes the delete all clips works but on one occassion I had media error on a SxS card that I deleted clips on. This occurred when the card was switching slots and I had to turn the camera off and reboot which then allowed me to restore the media and carry on. If this had occurred in a shoot where I needed contentious vision I would have lost 40 seconds of vision, now only use freshly formatted cards and have not had that problem. I only use the SxS or MxM cards now as backup, my prime recording is to the NanoFlash which uses Compact Flash cards which are far more stable.
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hi Alistar,
I only use the SxS or MxM cards now as backup, my prime recording is to the NanoFlash which uses Compact Flash cards which are far more stable.
Oh yes, I couldn't agree more. SI do the same here. In fact, I have not used a SxS recording for a few months now, just copy the BPAV folder (always via Clip Browser with CRC enabled) to my backup drives.

The nano recordings are superb, even in SD.
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hello Alistar
I have a three month old EX3 Firmware V1.04_0084 and I am having problems formatting MXM and MXR adapters with 32gb cards my 16 Gb are fine. I have tried ATP and Sandisk with the same results. If you have a 32gb card can u lets me know if you can format 32Gb cards with that firmware without having to turn the camera off and reset.
Thanks
Hi Lance,

The original MxR card was designed and tested around the Sandisk and Transcend 16GB cards. In the 12 months since it release, many company's have released 32GB SDHC cards.

When we released the e-LCR, our lockable card, we made sure that it could read the latest 32GB cards in the market, including Sandisk, Transcend, ATP, silicon Power etc. Once we got glowing reports back from our users, we quietly introduced that same PCB into the MxR.

Any MxR or e-LCR you purchased within the last two months has been updated. You can tell the 32GB MxR cards by their Purple label with the Maori design on them, as opposed to the grey and orange label of the 16GB MxR.

So in answer to your question, the original 16GB MxR design, as used by Hoodman, only supports Transcend 32GB cards, and has now become obsolete*.

*Obsolescence frequently occurs because a replacement has become available that is superior in one or more aspects.
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Ross for clearing that up. I wont be buying any 32Gb cards for my adapters.

I was hoping to hear whether any one has found out anything else about this firmware up date. It is now easier use S&Q surely this is not the only benefit?
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Ross. That's great to hear since I've got three MxR's coming on Monday.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Major Player

[QUOTE=Ross Herewini;1450242]Hi Lance,

The original MxR card was designed and tested around the Sandisk and Transcend 16GB cards. In the 12 months since it release, many company's have released 32GB SDHC cards.

When we released the e-LCR, our lockable card, we made sure that it could read the latest 32GB cards in the market, including Sandisk, Transcend, ATP, silicon Power etc. Once we got glowing reports back from our users, we quietly introduced that same PCB into the MxR.

Hello Ross,
Ross I have purchased two e-LCR, lockable card and populated them with Sandisk Ultra 32Gb SDHC cards. I am sorry to say they will not format without having to reset the camera and or reinsert the cards into the camera and on that basis I can not rely on them.
With 16gb cards they work fine and format as my times as you want. With 32Gb cards it's a hit and miss and my work around is not to reformat them but to delete all clips in the media mode in the camera. I then reformat the cards back at base ready for the next job because to get them format may take three or four insertion or powering off the camera.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Lance,

Can you please PM me, I'd like to follow up on why this is happening.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds