EX1R over the HPX-300? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Beeson View Post
"I must admit that the EX's are a great concept with wonderful photographic abilities but, IMO, neither one of the two models represent a well balanced or comfortable approach to videography and if that weren't the case, they would not have spawned an entire cottage industry of products designed to improve upon their usability."

I may get the EX1R but the above quote is exactly how I feel as well...
KB
I wouldn't call the Panavision Genesis a particularly well balanced or comfortable approach to videography either, but that doesn't seem to be stopping anyone from shooting with them. And rather successfully. Get the tool that best meets your needs, and shoot. Really, it's as simply as that.
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #17
Major Player

"As for the cottage industry that's spawned up around the cameras, I'd say that's due more to their popularity than anything else. We watched it happen with the DVX, we've watched it happen with RED. Two of the most wildly popular cameras in recent years with cult like followings. Do you consider them poorly balanced and uncomfortable? If they are, it sure hasn't slowed sales any. I see the EX1 and EX3 in much the same vein. Wildly popular cameras with some ergonomic flaws."

To some extent I am in agreement but bear in mind that it is those very flaws that prompted the need for the cottage industry with their varied accessories, a requirement that does not prevail for many other cameras. As I've said in a prior post, what works for one may not for another and, of course, we are really discussing two very different ergonomic variations of the same camera but with similar issues. And the addition of the various shoulder mount supports, aside from bringing their own weight to the party, add a significant amount of length, thereby negating the alleged primary advantage of a smaller device. But no doubt that those devices work for both yourself and a hoard of others and perhaps mine is a peculiar situation but it's in the past and no longer an issue and any further discussion would simply be counterproductive.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Fair enough. I think the OP has gotten enough from us on both sides of the argument. As I said, you really have to choose what works best for you and go from there. If we all loved the same camera, it would be a very boring place!
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Major Player

Well if I were doing serious ENG work every day or once a week I would probably get the JVC (HM700) for the form factor and FCP workfow.

For narrative I would go with Sony for the slight bump up in image quality and not really needing to do much handheld.

The Panny has an advantage over the JVC because of it's built in CA correction and 10 bit codec but who cares if it's just ENG...

As usual- it depends on what your going to do with it!
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I wouldn't say the accessories "cottage industry" for the EX1 proves that the camera has design flaws. It just shows that people want the camera to serve more than one master. The EX1 is not a shoulder mount camera. It is a handheld (read wrist held) camera. It's native application in my opinion being with minimal to no accessories for low profile shooting where a large camera would be obtrusive or constricted.

I prefer to brace the camera against my chest when I can and minimize holding it away from my body arms outstretched. Whatever reduces wrist strain. Could it be better balanced? Sure... I wouldn't label that a flaw.

Trying to use an EX1 as a shouldermount or feature film camera is where all the accessories start coming in. Great, but that's not what the camera is primarily built for.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:47 AM   #21
Major Player

ex1R over hpx300 /400.00 rebate on ex1r

dont forget about the 400.00 rebate on the ex1r in cash or a 600.00 rebate towards sonystyle.com.
so that brings the ex1r down to 5800.00 off the bhprice of 6200
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Biggest deal breaker for me is no expanded focus while recording on the HPX-300
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #23
Major Player

does the EX1R fix this?

Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Another meaningless test video. No camera or sensor is perfect, they are all compromises. Sure all current CMOS cameras suffer from skew and if you wave them around like a lunatic while overcranking you can turn the image into jello. If I take a CCD camera and shine it at a bright point light source I can cause a nasty vertical bar across the frame.

Even the Arri D21 which has a mechanical shutter has skew issues.

Then there are also the meaningless codec torture tests. Yes I can "break" the EX codec by pointing the camera up at a building and twirling it around, but I can also "break" the AVC-I codec by slowly panning across areas of fine motion such as leaves blowing in the wind.

What's really important is how the cameras perform in the real world, with normal, everyday shots, not extremes or other ridiculous non-sensical situations.

What I would say for the EX range is that they are accepted for HD by Nat Geo and discovery straight out of the box. With the NanoFlash they are also accepted by the BBC, Sky HD and many others. The same cannot be said of the HPX-300, largely due to the 1/3" sensor size.
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Allister - looks like the EX1R is my next purchase - It was close but I'd like the 1/2" censors over 1/3". NoanFlash a bit pricey for now, but maybe one day.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post - I really needed some advice, never bought a camera above the Z1U and I needed to move on a bit.

btw - what's this post about $400 rebate on EX1R (form $6300 to $5900)? Where/who? Can't find such a thing.

Thanks

KB
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #26
Major Player

ex1R over hpx300 /400.00 rebate on ex1r

sony had an online expo on thursday, if you attended it you got a choice of 400.00 cash back on purchases over 5k, or a 600.00 credit at sonystyle.com
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #27
Major Player

I took time out from my vacation to attend this online for this very reason ($400 rebate).
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks for posting this $400 info - I think this will seal the deal for me.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #29
Regular Crew

This offer seems to still be available for anyone signing up late, by the way.

Sony's "The New Economics of HD" Online Expo | Home
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds