EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Barry,

That is quite the setup you have there. Looks very conformable.

I hope I can help you integrate a Nano solution that is easy to deal with.

The shoulder bracket I am working on would attach to the "wing" and come off with one thumb screw while the Nano would stay on the camera and the whole rig will click onto a tripod head, with or without the shoulder bracket attached.

I am also working on a rail system in the front of the plate that would be quick to attach/remove for matte box handles and focus rigs.

My thought is that you can quickly change from sticks to shoulder to bag. I like the Sony VCT-14 system for mounting on the sticks. I am integrating that possibility in my system.
Olof

With your new Nanoflash bracket design (Nanoflash facing back) how far back is the Nano from the back of the camera (measured from the back of the camera to the front of the Nano) and how far to the side of the camera is the Nano located - does part of the Nano overlap the right hand portion of the back of the camera? Just trying to get an idea of how far out to the right side of the camera that the Nano would protrude.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #17
Sponsor: Westside AV

Barry,

I have just ordered the "Swit" battery and I will have a new EX1R as well as a NanoFlash unit here to work with this week. I will then finalize the design and publish exact drawings and photos here.

The current Beta models of brackets are being used by beta testers and Convergent design has a kit.

We are trying to come up with the best balance and convenient way to mount the NanoFlash. I want the whole system to be easy to use rugged and light and small differences in positions make a big difference.

I expect to have the finalized design in about 10 days. I will keep you posted on progress.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions they would be appreciated.
Contact me, or post here:
olof@westsideav.com

You can order the plate and standard wing here, we ship orders the same day received:
EX1 Stronger Plates
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #18
Major Player

Eagerly looking forward to seeing your final design for the back-facing Nanoflash mount. I may be able to go back to using the Hoodman Wristshot for brief shoots with this type of arrangement and use the Shoulder mount for longer shoots. I am glad to see someone is trying their best to come up with a more portable solution to mounting the Nanoflash.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM   #19
New Boot

Hello Olof,

I'm glad you're making these baseplates. After realizing the dangers I was putting on my EX1's baseplate by holding it by the handle with a Letus rig attached to it, I've become *slightly* paranoid about ripping out the tripod plate. So these replacement bases are heaven-sent. I have two questions about them:

1) About how much do they weigh (you probably answered this in another thread, so I'm sorry that I'm asking again)?

2) Would it be possible to buy the baseplate and wing separately? I'm thinking that it would be nice to "upgrade" later on by adding the wing to an already-owned baseplate.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Wing Poon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Barry I am using the bracket Olof built with the Nano facing backwards. I also use the Swit battery to power the camera and Nano. There is enough room to change batteries with the bracket and Nano with wires installed. I discussed this with Olof when we set up the distance back for the Nano.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Paul - Thanks for the response - would love to see a picture of the entire unit on the camera. I really like the idea of this type of mount compared with my present setup with the QRPro 2 shelf and am researching around for a different type of camera bag so I can just slip it in and out of the bag without any dismounting (need a wider bag where the camera can sit upright as opposed to being on it's side as with my present PTCB-3 from Petrol.) I think the Petrol PDRB-3 would probably fit the bill nicely.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I use this setup in my Think Tank bag. Will post pictures when I have a chance today.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Paul - would also like to see it in the Think Tank bag - does your bag have wheels?
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Yes it has wheels and a whole lot more.

Check out this thread on EX1 bags.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...e-bag-ex1.html
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM   #25
Major Player

Those were good pics of your Think Tank bag - I noticed that the Nano was wrapped in bubble wrap and disassembled from the mount - are you now able to put the camera and Nano (assembled- facing back) into the bag? I also notice that you have taken off the mic mount (and you mention that in a later post) - I use the mic mount with my AT835ST microphone - is there enough headroom for that in the bag?
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I took the mic mount off because they break and I don't like to put my shot gun in the stock mount.

I always take off the Nano. With HD-SDI and power cable coming out the bottom and a screen that can scratch I remove it. Only takes seconds to remove and pack properly.
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Here are some picture of the stronger bottom plate with back mount and side mount for the Nano. Side mount is great when on shoulder brace to still use the viewfinder and the back plate is great on our helicopter.

I was quick with the wires on the side mount so they are not that neat.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010002.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010003.jpg  

EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010005.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010007.jpg  

EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010008.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010010.jpg  

EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010012.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-pc010013.jpg  

Old December 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I took the mic mount off because they break and I don't like to put my shot gun in the stock mount.

I always take off the Nano. With HD-SDI and power cable coming out the bottom and a screen that can scratch I remove it. Only takes seconds to remove and pack properly.
Paul

Thank you very much for the very good pictures and the comments above. I like the side mounted (facing back) for my purposes and I don't think I would have a problem with the power cables extending too far down to "crimp" themselves in the bag. I had a custom HD-SDI cable (9") made by CD but without the boots (unlike the red one in yours) so the wire can bend quicker. In placing my Nano at the location in your pictures I would need a camera bag at least 10" in width if I were to keep the unit on and not disassemble it. I still could cover it with plastic bubble wrap to protect the screen. I really like this system and eagerly await Olof's final design.

It looks like the compartments in the Think Tank bag are very easily configured - do you see any problem in configuring one that would fit the EX1 with the Nano mounted on the side facing back. My wires do not extend down below the camera so I don't think there would be a problem with crimping.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:04 PM   #29
Sponsor: Westside AV

Barry,

You probably know this but you can make BNC cables that cable comes out at 90º, no crimp problem.

I make custom BNC and XLR cables, and I will add custom made lengths to my order page soon.

If you need a custom cable made get in touch with me:
olof@westsideav.com

Paul,

I really like the look of the Think Tank bag. It is out of stock at the moment, but I will get one when they are back.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM   #30
Major Player

Olof

Funny you should mention about the right angle - I looked on CD accessory website (Indiegrip) and there were the right angle connectors. In fact, I emailed Rick Kelly of Indigrip with a copy to Dan Keaton and they both thought the right angle cable would be the way to go. Do you also do D-Tap - Hirose 4 pin custom cables also? I like the idea of keeping the unit attached to the camera more or less permanently (in addition to convenience, I am also concerned about metal fatigue in the cables over time if you are constantly taking them on and off) and getting a bag like the Think Tank (very wide) and setup the dividers to properly protect the camera (and put bubble wrap over the Nano for transport - like Paul does). That bag is so large I might even be able to get my Shape shoulder mount into it - the dimensions are right.

I know Paul has a prototype of the Nano mount (side wing that faces backward) but is his just about the same as the final product will be?

Look up dealers on the Think Tank webpage and there is one in New York (begins with A - not sure whether they are a sponsor or not) that has the bag in stock for the same price + free shipping.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds