EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype

Here is the new NanoFlash prototype. Of course the final shipping version will be black anodized finish.

The Nano will tilt slightly forward and be off to the right side of the EX1. The Nano can easily be removed when not used and the bracket can also easily be removed

It attaches to the standard wing and you can still keep the 2 standard shoes for wireless mics etc.

I am trying to expand this system using current parts. And I think this works really well.

When I make the shoulder brace or the matte box rail adapter for this system that requires additional milling to the wing or plate, I will offer free updated baseplates or wings if you have purchased the earlier model.

If you have any thoughts please comment here or contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

You can order the plate and standard wing here, we ship orders the same day received:
EX1 Stronger Plates
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-_mg_6206.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-_mg_6208.jpg  

EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-_mg_6213.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-picture-8.jpg  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

How can I order a prototype? I plan to use the Nanoflash on an EX1 with the Swit
larger image S-8U62 D-tap battery of dimensions 41.5x69.7x93.0mm. Will this battery and its protruding cables interfere with the Nanoflash mounted on your bracket? It looks like the Nanoflash left edge would be aligned with the right side of your plate, but it's hard to judge the depth from your photos. Please confirm.

S-8U62 replacement for Sony BP-U60 Battery/ PMW-EX1/EX3 camera [SWIT S-8U62] - $179.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions

http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...ductdetail.asp
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Hi Gints,

I will be happy to send you a prototype next week.

Give me a call and I will set it up. My # 603.383.9283

I am also sending a prototype to Convergent Designs on Monday.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Can you show a picture of it mounted to the camera? I am having a hard time imagining how that won't interfere with the grip.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #5

Perrone,

Here is a photo that shows the position of the wing pretty clearly, actual wing is black anodized finish with holes and shoe attachements.

And bear in mind that if you place an order, there is a money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied with my product.

Check out the website:
EX1 Stronger Plates

Or contact me:
olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-_mg_5041.jpg  
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #6

I now have a new design for the NanoFlash Arm.

It comes with 2 arms so that NanoFlash can face the back or to the left.

They can be mounted in different positions to accommodate large batteries.

If you would like to try out these arms, contact me.

If you have any thoughts please comment here or contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

You can order the plate and standard wing here, we ship orders the same day received:
EX1 Stronger Plates
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-_mg_6226.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-_mg_6227.jpg  

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Olof - very much interested in your Nano bracket - are you getting in a Nanoflash? Would love to see some pics of the actual unit mounted on an EX1. My main concern is not having to take it (the Nano) off while getting the camera in and out of the camera bag.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #8

Barry,

I just sent this setup to a beta tester he will send me back photos soon.

And I also sent Convergent design a set today. They will be testing the setup.

I will be getting in a NanoFlash soon, I am also getting the new EX1R soon (they say).

If you are interested in trying this setup out. Give me a call. 603-383-9283. Let me know what dimensions your bag is.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Olof

I am going out of town for Thanksgiving but the present rig I have is shown here:
Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-004 . When I take the camera (and shelf where the battery and Nano are attached) - I can lay the whole unit on it's side and it fits in my Petrol PCTB-3 bag - Untitled Document - it fits into the bag like so: http://www.petrolbags.com/bigPic.htm.../PCTB-3_04.jpg

I have shortened the three compartments on the left of the bag to accomodate for the QRPro2 mounting shelf.

What I am thinking of in the future is investigating the possibility of using the new Sony collapsible shoulder mount that fits on the bottom of the EX1(R) and using your bracket to mount the Nanoflash unit. The big caveat is not having to dismount the Nano everytime I put the camera into the bag. When I get back from vacation, I will take a picture of how the camera rig now fits into this bag and send it to you.
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Great looking setup, Barry. I'd like to do something similar. Is this rig airplane-friendly?
dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #11

Barry,

That is quite the setup you have there. Looks very conformable.

I hope I can help you integrate a Nano solution that is easy to deal with.

The shoulder bracket I am working on would attach to the "wing" and come off with one thumb screw while the Nano would stay on the camera and the whole rig will click onto a tripod head, with or without the shoulder bracket attached.

I am also working on a rail system in the front of the plate that would be quick to attach/remove for matte box handles and focus rigs.

My thought is that you can quickly change from sticks to shoulder to bag. I like the Sony VCT-14 system for mounting on the sticks. I am integrating that possibility in my system.
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Olof, I'm also interested in your work on the shoulder mount. Are you thinking of adding a counterweight on the back side? I have the Vortex shoulder mount, but it's made of flexible steel. For an EX, a lot of counterweight in the rear "cage" box makes for a very bouncy shoulder mount. I understand that they chose thin steel for weight concerns, but I've added my own aluminum reinforcement bars at significant cost. There is not enough room for my wrist for the EX1 rotating grip. It's ok when held at shoulder height, but for other shoudler mount positions, it's too tight.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; November 26th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #13

I made my first prototype shoulder brace out of 1/8" 6011 aluminum and I did not like the lack of stiffness.

So I have ordered 3/16" 6061, it will be here next week. 1/4" 6061 is nice and stiff, but I would like to keep weight down, so I want to try the 3/16".

As far as counter balance goes, yes I will either provide a battery mount and/or a box or possible a stud with a wing nut for a weight. Any thoughts?

I see the shoulder brace as a quick release that can be quickly mounted/removed while on your tripod, so it is still easy to keep your mic and or NanoFlash attached when on your tripod or put in your run-bag. But it can also be left on while on sticks or put away in a larger bag.
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Great looking setup, Barry. I'd like to do something similar. Is this rig airplane-friendly?
dave
Yes it is airplane friendly but not on commuter jets -of course I stow the shoulder mount in a separate backpack. I walked around "Dizzyworld" yesterday for over 4 hours and had no problems - the rig all together weighs about 16 pounds and is evenly distributed between shoulder and waist with the telescopic arm. I was able to get some great shots on full telephoto with no wobble.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Perrone,

Here is a photo that shows the position of the wing pretty clearly, actual wing is black anodized finish with holes and shoe attachements.

And bear in mind that if you place an order, there is a money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied with my product.

Check out the website:
EX1 Stronger Plates

Or contact me:
olof@westsideav.com
Looks similar to the one I moded for my wireless mic but with stronger base plate. Olof I am ordering one to try out.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-b1.jpg   EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-b2.jpg  

EX1 Stronger base plate NanoFlash Prototype-b3.jpg  
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds