See the PMW350 at AbelCineTech Next Week - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Resolution, bitrates and codecs get endlessly chewed over (and I do wish it offered the 50Mbs mode), but there's a lot more to a camera choice than purely those.
If I was handing over my work to a network, 50 or 100 mbps 4:2:2 is very sensible and desirable, but a very convenient feature of XDCAM-EX 35 mbps HQ 4:2:0 (to me) is that it will author straight to Blu-ray without a single video re-encode or recompress, a fantastic time saver and native quality.

Adding a Nanoflash to the PMW350 should cover most all of the bases of the 700/800, with less weight and required battery power.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Point well taken Paul, I do need to work with one before making such a decision. My only experience so far was working with some ungraded footage and I though it was quite excellent.

To me it is about the 2/3" image quality, and the ability to use primes. I have the Schneider and 16x9Inc wide angle adapters for my EX1 and EX3. Neither thrill me, but I cant entirely blame the adapters because the Sony stock lens isn't exactly distortion free at its widest, so the aftermarket lenses are only going to exacerbate that problem.

I am hesitant to do the Letus/Redrock adapter route since I am not sure that the same exact thing wont happen since I am shooting with the stock glass on the wide end. Therefore I am going to have to use a real cinema lens, and sticking one on the EX3 with the 1/2" chips ruins hopes of a wide angle. The 2/3" B mount will give me what I need or a PL mount RED. So there is the issue in a nutshell, at least for me.

If Sony and Canon would only release a camera that shot RAW video, and someone please make a camera that can shoot 1080p/60!

I am positive the Sony 350 will be an excellent camera, I have no doubts that it will be very popular.
Cris Daniels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds