DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   CBK-DV01 for EX1/3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/468371-cbk-dv01-ex1-3-a.html)

Peter Axford November 25th, 2009 01:04 PM

CBK-DV01 for EX1/3?

Hi all, I would find it useful if my EX1 and 3 could record standard definition for certain jobs. The new XDCAM EX 350 camcorder has an optional hardware option to enable this (CBK-DV01) which gives DVCAM recording. I know its a long shot but does anyone think or know whether this will work on the EX1/3 once the new firmware is released? Thanks in advance.

Craig Seeman November 25th, 2009 02:09 PM

I suspect not because I think it requires the encoder chip to do that.

Enrique Orozco Robles November 25th, 2009 06:25 PM

...why are so many people requesting SD for the EX cameras ?? ... with the latest NLEs I donīt see any advantage on having SD obsolete masters... in fact I see many advantages on having HD masters for producing SD material ..... it is like requesting 3 MP still cameras when you have cameras that give you 10 MP....

kind regards

Alister Chapman November 26th, 2009 02:25 AM

If you are delivering SD rushes to client being able to shoot in SD makes a lot of sense. I can't remember the last time I did an SD shoot but I'm sure ther are many that would like SD. I have the SD option on my PDW 700.
SD will never be available on the original EX1 or EX3. The EX1R has an extra encoder chip inside. It's one of the reasons why the 1R is slightly wider at the rear, to make space for the encoder.

Vincent Oliver November 26th, 2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enrique Orozco Robles (Post 1452354)
...why are so many people requesting SD for the EX cameras ?? ... with the latest NLEs I donīt see any advantage on having SD obsolete masters... in fact I see many advantages on having HD masters for producing SD material ..... it is like requesting 3 MP still cameras when you have cameras that give you 10 MP....

kind regards

Whilst you have a good point with HD cameras, the fact is that until Blu-Ray becomes mainstream people will still want to produce standard SD DVDs. You didn't mention if you have tried creating SD DVDs from a HD timeline. At the moment it is all a Hit or Miss situation (more than likely). I have tried many of the solutions given on these forums and others and so far have not been 100% happy with any of them. :-(

Garrett Low November 26th, 2009 02:30 AM

Would the HVR-MRC1 taking a feed through the Firewire work? That unit can convert to SD.

Might be worth looking into.

-Garrett

Enrique Orozco Robles November 26th, 2009 10:49 AM

... well, I guess because I'm so happy with the SD-DVDs produced with my EX3 that I donīt see any reason to look for SD anymore... and I have my HD for web, or easy HDTV viewing through new solutions like the WD media player... in fact I donīt have a BluRay burner yet....

good luck

Vincent Oliver November 26th, 2009 11:36 AM

What is your workflow for producing SD DVDs from HD footage?

Enrique Orozco Robles November 26th, 2009 12:14 PM

Using Vegas 9pro & DVD arch 5 on PC workstations .... rendering from Vegas timeline (sometimes SD-wide timeline when mixing with DV-wide sources) to mpeg2 DVD arch template with BEST and Progressive settings (shooting progressive 1080 or 720, 30fps with the EX3) and VBR 2 pass .... I've obtained very nice looking DVDs that looks even better on LCD or plasma TVs....

regards

David Issko November 26th, 2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Axford (Post 1452231)
Hi all, I would find it useful if my EX1 and 3 could record standard definition for certain jobs.

It is almost becoming the standard answer - invest in the nanoflash, which, in one small purchase will solve most operators' wishes, including yours.

I used mine just recently on a (yuck) 4x3 SD job. The edited DVD was projected onto a BIG 4x3 screen in front of 500 people in an auditorium and the results were GREAT.

At the other end of the scale you get 422 colour space recording at ever increasing bit rates and a great range of other options as well.

Up there with some of your best, long lasting investments you could make.

Tim Lucas February 21st, 2012 12:06 AM

Re: CBK-DV01 for EX1/3?

I have a Nanoflash bolted onto the back of my 350 and often deliver IMX50 to some clients. Its costs a bit more than the DVCam card but has opened more doors in the long run with the extra recording formats available.

Tim.

Chris Clifton February 21st, 2012 07:37 AM

The 320 also has the SD/DVCAM recording option which is what the news networks want for uploading to the satellite.

Geoff Addis February 23rd, 2012 09:28 AM

A BIG advantage of shooting in full HD when the final output is to be SD is that you are able to reframe or use stabilising software such as Mercalli to improve those shots which could have been better. Another advantage is that converting down to SD can get rid of a lot of video noise. Using software such as TMPEG can produce very good results as can the latest version of EDIUS. (I have just compared FCP X to DVD with both the above and it appears not so good)

Geoff