CBK-DV01 for EX1/3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #1
New Boot

CBK-DV01 for EX1/3?

Hi all, I would find it useful if my EX1 and 3 could record standard definition for certain jobs. The new XDCAM EX 350 camcorder has an optional hardware option to enable this (CBK-DV01) which gives DVCAM recording. I know its a long shot but does anyone think or know whether this will work on the EX1/3 once the new firmware is released? Thanks in advance.
Peter Axford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I suspect not because I think it requires the encoder chip to do that.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

...why are so many people requesting SD for the EX cameras ?? ... with the latest NLEs I don´t see any advantage on having SD obsolete masters... in fact I see many advantages on having HD masters for producing SD material ..... it is like requesting 3 MP still cameras when you have cameras that give you 10 MP....

kind regards
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you are delivering SD rushes to client being able to shoot in SD makes a lot of sense. I can't remember the last time I did an SD shoot but I'm sure ther are many that would like SD. I have the SD option on my PDW 700.
SD will never be available on the original EX1 or EX3. The EX1R has an extra encoder chip inside. It's one of the reasons why the 1R is slightly wider at the rear, to make space for the encoder.
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Orozco Robles View Post
...why are so many people requesting SD for the EX cameras ?? ... with the latest NLEs I don´t see any advantage on having SD obsolete masters... in fact I see many advantages on having HD masters for producing SD material ..... it is like requesting 3 MP still cameras when you have cameras that give you 10 MP....

kind regards
Whilst you have a good point with HD cameras, the fact is that until Blu-Ray becomes mainstream people will still want to produce standard SD DVDs. You didn't mention if you have tried creating SD DVDs from a HD timeline. At the moment it is all a Hit or Miss situation (more than likely). I have tried many of the solutions given on these forums and others and so far have not been 100% happy with any of them. :-(
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Trustee

Would the HVR-MRC1 taking a feed through the Firewire work? That unit can convert to SD.

Might be worth looking into.

-Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

... well, I guess because I'm so happy with the SD-DVDs produced with my EX3 that I don´t see any reason to look for SD anymore... and I have my HD for web, or easy HDTV viewing through new solutions like the WD media player... in fact I don´t have a BluRay burner yet....

good luck
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Trustee

What is your workflow for producing SD DVDs from HD footage?
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Using Vegas 9pro & DVD arch 5 on PC workstations .... rendering from Vegas timeline (sometimes SD-wide timeline when mixing with DV-wide sources) to mpeg2 DVD arch template with BEST and Progressive settings (shooting progressive 1080 or 720, 30fps with the EX3) and VBR 2 pass .... I've obtained very nice looking DVDs that looks even better on LCD or plasma TVs....

regards
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Axford View Post
Hi all, I would find it useful if my EX1 and 3 could record standard definition for certain jobs.
It is almost becoming the standard answer - invest in the nanoflash, which, in one small purchase will solve most operators' wishes, including yours.

I used mine just recently on a (yuck) 4x3 SD job. The edited DVD was projected onto a BIG 4x3 screen in front of 500 people in an auditorium and the results were GREAT.

At the other end of the scale you get 422 colour space recording at ever increasing bit rates and a great range of other options as well.

Up there with some of your best, long lasting investments you could make.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Re: CBK-DV01 for EX1/3?

I have a Nanoflash bolted onto the back of my 350 and often deliver IMX50 to some clients. Its costs a bit more than the DVCam card but has opened more doors in the long run with the extra recording formats available.

Tim.
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The 320 also has the SD/DVCAM recording option which is what the news networks want for uploading to the satellite.
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Regular Crew

A BIG advantage of shooting in full HD when the final output is to be SD is that you are able to reframe or use stabilising software such as Mercalli to improve those shots which could have been better. Another advantage is that converting down to SD can get rid of a lot of video noise. Using software such as TMPEG can produce very good results as can the latest version of EDIUS. (I have just compared FCP X to DVD with both the above and it appears not so good)

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds