Advice on a bag for the EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM   #16
Major Player

Yes thanks for the photos, very helpful. I'd read about the think tank range and they do look good if a little pricey. They compare with the lowepro pro-roller range but are about $100 more expensive than the computrekker. Thanks said I'm stunned at how much you can fit in the thing and it's still carry on sized! Amazing. Even the computrekker plus wouldn't get that much in and it will still bepushing on the top of the EX1.

One thing I love about lowepro though is the build quality. The zips and clasps are awesome and tough. How are they on the think tank range?
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Inner Circle

First off guys, sorry about the picture quality. I am still using a cheap one shot that I bought used for $30. Time to go full frame for my stills.

Dave I also remove the Sony Mic holder since it is so venerable. For a mic holder I use the hot shoe with a shot gun shock mount.

There is no pressure on the top of the camera.

Damian I also like the LowePro build quality. My DryZone 200 which I have two of are excellent. But I think the zipper on the Think Tank is better and much tougher. I have pushed and pulled to close the Think Tank for years and it just keeps moving freely.

Three other features about the Think Tank I like is the lock is airport approved. There are backpack style straps in a zipped compartment, so yes it is also a backpack which I have used often. And there is a waterproof cover that works well and sets up in seconds. Not to mention I hook a tripod on the outside straps often.

Worth the money. Why spend all this money on nice gear and not move it around in a easy to use well thought out package. My Think Tank has three very hard years use and is just broken in.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Zenzel View Post
You mentioned above that you take the viewfinder off when packing in the Kata bag.

I just ordered an EX1R, and was wondering if that meant that I can use it without the eyepiece/viewfinder.... Does it work/run OK without it, using the LCD only?

Can't wait for it to arrive..... I'm using a canon vixia now, and moving up....

I ordered the PDRB-3 Dr. Petrol bag...... anyone use that one?
The viewfinder on the EX1r is in a whole new league compared to the VF on the EX1. You will definately want to use it.
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Picked myself up a Think Tank Airport Acceleration V2.0 a couple of weeks ago. Wanted the Airport Security but you can't get Think tank stuff in Australia very easily and so I leapt on the Acceleration when I saw one. The shop had 300 bags, kata, lowepro, tamrac, everything under the sun but only three think tank bags :(

But the Acceleration rocks. Fits the EX1 (best on it's side), lots of acc's and is easily carry on even on local domestic flights. Rock solid construction. Zips look like they'll last for years.

BTW the pro-roller series loked really nice but even the small one was over $600 - insane.

Last edited by Damian Heffernan; February 11th, 2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Good deal Damian,

Glad you like the bag, my Think Tank bag has been on the road with me flying twice in the last month and a dream to use as always.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #21
Major Player

I actually have two bags for my EX1...both Kata.

I think the larger one is a 193? Something in that neighborhood. Typical double top-zipper, it will fit the camera with a matte box, and the back compartment is adequate for charger, headsets, data cards, etc...I also carry a shooting bean bag with me as a steadying aid for camera-on-the ground low angle or setting the camera down anywhere...that fits in as well. I don't even pack that one as efficiently as I should and I really like it.

(It's similar in size to the pics someone posted with the case with the blue interior in this thread.)

For flying...I take off the eyepiece and I can JUST fit the camera into a Kata 191. I can get a couple batteries and data cards, Tiffen IR, etc placed around the camera, and I usually pack the charger in my computer bag or my checked bag. The beauty of this arrangement is that the camera fits into the overhead compartment on a CRJ commuter jet...try THAT with an EX3.

:-)

The back pack arrangements look really useful, but the luggage nazis are narrowing our options for traveling rapidly, so I try to be as light as possible.
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Major Player

I have the Petrol Dr Bag PDRB-3. I love it, although I haven't flown with it yet (Tuesday I will). I think it should fly okay as I can compress it down to about 9" in height. This is what I carry in it:

EX1 camera
Sennheiser G3 (receiver always attached), lav transmitter, SKP2000 plug-on transmitter,
2 lavs
Sennhesier hardwire power supply for lav
Sanken CS-1 on camera
Audio Technica 875R Short Shotgun with Wind Muff
Rycote Lyre shock mount
Pistol Grip for handheld shotgun
Sony Zoom Through Wide Angle Adapter
2 BP60 batteries
15' XLR Cable
Comer 1800 light with NPF970 battery
NPF770 battery
V-Mount Battery for my LED 500 light (only when I fly otherwise it goes in a different case)
Various adapters and a mic pad so I can plug into pretty much anything.
Dolgin dual battery charger (I take this out when I arrive as it prevents me from getting the camera out)
Modified Shape WLB Sumo Camera Shoulder Mount
4 lb counter weight for Sumo (when I fly I'll put it in a different case, 4lbs of solid metal will get you searched just about 100% of the time)
VariND Filter
Mac Book Pro 13" on top (I'll have to take this out to get it in the overhead, but I usually take it out anyways.

Finally I put it on a Kata Insertrolley to roll it around. For flying I'm going to use a smaller, lighter and more tippy plastic cart.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on a bag for the EX1-img_7847.jpg   Advice on a bag for the EX1-img_7846.jpg  

Advice on a bag for the EX1-img_7845.jpg   Advice on a bag for the EX1-img_7851.jpg  

Advice on a bag for the EX1-img_7849.jpg   Advice on a bag for the EX1-img_7853.jpg  

Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #23
Major Player

EX1 in the Think Tank Airport Acceleration

Photo of the bag packed with some gear. I haven't fully sorted out the dividers yet and will work towards a more optimised setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on a bag for the EX1-thinktankbag.jpg  
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Looks good Damian, I am sure you will keep refining the dividers I change mine all the time to match my ever change gear.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #25
Major Player

I use the KATA OMB-175. OMB stands for "One MAn Band" and they name it as such because it has lots of room and pockets for all your extras such as audio gear. You can get the optional trolley too so you can wheel your bag about with less effort.

Here's a video I made showing the bag:

The video was for a contest I entered about the OMB bags. I won a Sony EX1 in the contest!

How Do You Play With Your One Man Band Contest Winner Announced
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #26
Major Player

I have a Kata 195 (soft bag) and a pelican case.
If you are traveling by air you might want to go for a hard case as you may have to check your case.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #27
Trustee

Great video, Chad. No wonder you won.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Fun to watch Chad.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #29
Major Player

Thanks guys, but rather than entertain, I wanted to stress how much you can fit in this bag. I fit a frickin' 11 year old in it!
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #30
Tourist

Think Tank Airport Security™ V 2.0 for sony z1

Hi All,

Just for those of you that mentioned the Think Tank Airport Security™ V 2.0 I wanted to ask your thoughts on how suitable you feel it would be for the sony z1.

Really appreciate any feedback.

best,

Paul
Paul Byrne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds