DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Advice on a bag for the EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/468399-advice-bag-ex1.html)

Damian Heffernan November 26th, 2009 03:15 AM

Advice on a bag for the EX1

Found lots of posts on bags for the EX3 but nothing on the EX1.

I bought a Lowepro Rolling Computrekker AW (decided at the last minute not to get the Plus model - stupid). It fits the Ex1 laid on it's side - just. I'm not really that happy because I can't fit much else in besides batts and charger and I wanted to put my wireless mics and a few other bits as well.

The other thing is I can't use the laptop bit because the EX1 pushes up into the top bit.

Should I go for the Plus model? Or is something different called for? The plus model is alittle bigger but I'm still thinking it might be a tight squezze for the Macbook.

I really want a backpack case that has wheels as well for travel which is why I bought the lowepro - great straps and good roller, and hard wearing. I'm now thinking of the Pro-roller series as they have good wheels and space etc but aren't quite as a good a backpack.

Thoughts?

Boyd Ostroff November 26th, 2009 08:20 AM

Here's a thread on EX1 bags: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...d-bag-ex1.html

Damian Heffernan November 27th, 2009 06:49 AM

Thanks I read that one and the EX3 one through twice :)

One guy mentioned the computrekker plus but looking at the dimensions of the camera and the interor dimensions of the bag it sounds like a tight squezze so I was wondering if anyone had used it for a while - with laptop.

It's getting the right balance between wheelable and backpack-able that is proving to be tricky.

Ben Westaway November 27th, 2009 05:42 PM

I'm a big fan of my Kata HB 207 for carrying my EX1. If well packed, it will fit the camera, 1 set of radios, charger, extra battery, headphones, pistol grip, XLR, shotgun mic, century fish eye adaptor, circular polariser, litepanels top light, 5 SxS cards, Lacie rugged, and my macbook pro in (never knew it was such a long list!)

I do have to take the rear viewfinder off to get it to fit in nicely without wasting too much space - but I rarely find that I use this anyway.

It also (at least in the UK) is fine for carry on on planes. Highly recommended!

Daniel Zenzel November 27th, 2009 06:19 PM

BTW: Can the EX1 be used without the Viewfinder?

You mentioned above that you take the viewfinder off when packing in the Kata bag.

I just ordered an EX1R, and was wondering if that meant that I can use it without the eyepiece/viewfinder.... Does it work/run OK without it, using the LCD only?

Can't wait for it to arrive..... I'm using a canon vixia now, and moving up....

I ordered the PDRB-3 Dr. Petrol bag...... anyone use that one?

Bob Jackson November 27th, 2009 06:39 PM

Kata 195 or 197, can't remember number
great case

Bob Kerner November 27th, 2009 07:30 PM

Also take a look at Think Tank. I have the Airport Acceleration backpack and it holds my EX-1, Wireless mics, 2 batteries, charger, on camera light with room to spare. And it has an outer compartment for a laptop. The backpack straps are quite good. I see they make one now with rollers too.

The only thing that won't fit (but you didn't ask about this) is the camera mounted on rails for a mattebox or 35mm adapter. The bag is about 2 inches too shallow to accommodate the height of this type of rig.

I love mine and might get one with wheels....
Bob

Brian Rhodes November 27th, 2009 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I use the CamRade bag for my EX1 got it from Tape works Texas

Ben Westaway November 28th, 2009 07:16 AM

Hi Daniel - Yeah, the EX1 works fine without the rear viewfinder, in fact I barely use mine. Only really put it on for bright sunny days. Id assume the EX1R is the same, but couldn't give you a definite answer.

Paul Cronin November 28th, 2009 09:44 AM

Damian I have the LowPro DryZone 200 which works great if you need a water proof back pack. Fits the camera upright with lots of gear.

But my favorite bag for the EX1 is the Think Tank Bag. This one:
Airport Security? V 2.0 Roller - Think Tank
There is nothing I have used that even comes close to this bag. Check bag that has been all over the world with me. Excellent piece of gear.

Dave Morrison November 28th, 2009 06:48 PM

Hey Paul. Could you post a photo of your Think Tank with the EX1 and whatever you carry with you?

Paul Cronin November 30th, 2009 07:43 AM

Hi Dave,

Not a problem I will do that now. Sorry for the delay yesterday was a rare day with no computers.

Paul Cronin November 30th, 2009 07:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few low res pics.

There are a few additional items I carry that are not in the bag. Two more Swit batteries. and my flight head set.

In the bag are:
EX1 with new bottom plate and side mount for Nano
Nano in bubble wrap,
6 filters in cases
two sony 60 batteries and one 30
8 S&S cards
Two cases with CF cards
Tools and flashlight
Rain cover
manuals
Wide Angle lens
Fisheye lens
Nano cables
LCD hood cover
cleaning items
business paper work
mis extra gear

Paul Cronin November 30th, 2009 08:01 AM

This is a great run and gun setup. For studio or shoots where I need to bring other cameras I use Storm Cases. I prefer the Storm case (2975 & 2950) over the Pelican case since it is lighter and easier to use latches.

Dave Morrison November 30th, 2009 07:21 PM

Thanks so much for the photos, Paul. Do you have any clearance between the lid of the case and the top of the camera? I've long ago removed the plastic mic holder and replaced it with the DM coldshoe mount but was wondering how much pressure (if any) the closed lid places on all those little switches on the top of the camera.