DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Play EX camera mp4 files on iphone from computer, wirelessly, without file conversion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/468488-play-ex-camera-mp4-files-iphone-computer-wirelessly-without-file-conversion.html)

Eli Schmukler November 27th, 2009 05:38 PM

Play EX camera mp4 files on iphone from computer, wirelessly, without file conversion

I just completed an experiment which I thought some of you might be interested in.

I installed a media server called Air Video on my windows vista computer (Intel quad core - q6600 - running at 2.4ghz) and a related free iphone app on my iphone. (There is a mac version of the server also.) I then set up the server so that it could find some folders on the computer which contained raw mp4 files which came directly from my EX3 - exactly the same file found in the bpav files created by the camera.

On the iphone, I downloaded and launched the Air Video Free app. It found the media server, the folder, and then the mp4 file. I then told it to play the file with conversion to the iphone to be done on the fly. It played the video - with sound - flawlessly. (One caveat, however, when I tried it with the server running on a dual core intel computer - 1.6 ghz - it told me the computer was too slow to convert on the fly. However, when I told it to proceed anyhow, it worked for a while and then stuttered.) The software can also convert the file - not on the fly - and, presumably, that requires less horsepower.

There is also a paid version of the app which does not limit the number of videos you can see at one time - which the free version does limit. (Try the free app if interested and then upgrade if you find the app useful.)

Besides the mp4 file, I was also able to convert on the fly some dv avi files I had on the computer and they also streamed perfectly - with sound.

Should run on the ipod touch also. Info says it should stream over 3g also, but when I tried with the free app, it said it could not work over 3g. I am going to explore that further.

More info re the media server and the app can be found at:

About Air Video

UPDATE -

Two new pieces of information which may be of interest:

It works over 3g - streamed perfectly with conversion on the fly - so all of your video can be accessed if the server is running on your home or office computer.

It successfully did an on the fly conversion of an flv file to the iphone over 3g (I had previously created the flv from an EX mp4)

Personally, I think I may buy the pro version - $2.99

No, I have no relationship to the producers of this product, whatsoever.

Eli Schmukler November 27th, 2009 06:32 PM

Original message has been updated

If you already read the original message, please re-read it as it has been updated. thanks.