DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   DVD Backup Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/468827-dvd-backup-advice.html)

Steve Kalle December 3rd, 2009 12:04 AM

DVD Backup Advice

I know many EX1/EX3 owners use DVDs as a part of their backup/archival process. I have been using ImgBurn(free) which worked fine before but I have been having problems with dual-layer Verbatims today. A;ready tonight, I have had about 5 of 10 not pass Verification after burning. Maybe its a bad batch but I highly doubt it as Verbatim is one of the best.

So, what software do you use for burning (is it for PC or Mac)? And does it allow you to use multiple burners?
Which brand of dvd has worked best for you?
What burn speed works best for you?

For anyone that uses Blu Ray discs, do you have any problems with bad discs?

Thanks

Vincent Oliver December 3rd, 2009 01:29 AM

I had a lot of trouble with Verbatim DVDs, I even purchased a new DVD drive because I thought my one had packed up, still had the problem. I now use Sony DVDs with no problems.

Craig Seeman December 3rd, 2009 02:21 AM

Not all Verbatim are alike. Verbatim DataLifePlus is their "archival" line. Taiyo Yuden also have an excellent reputation.

Vincent Oliver December 3rd, 2009 03:59 AM

I had been using Verbatim for a number of years, its just the last two batches that caused the problem. But then again I did buy them from Maplins at a bargain price of 9.99 for a 25 spindle stack. They took a long time to write, generally X2 or X4 speed (discs are labled as X16) most had a record error.

Doug Jensen December 3rd, 2009 04:46 AM

I'd say there's a chance you bought counterfeit DVDs that aren't the brand or model that you think they are, especially if you bought them through a discounter. The Chinese are getting pretty damn good at creating fakes of everything.

I always use Sony DVD-R discs and purchase them from Staples. In fact, I bought a spindle of 100 last night for $51. I think that's a fair price.

Vincent Oliver December 3rd, 2009 04:53 AM

I think you might be right on this Doug. I did return one batch to Maplins (Radio Shack in the US) and they counted the amount of discs I had used and then opened up a new pack and took out that number. Funny thing was the next batch were just as bad. Like you I now use Sony branded disc and they are OK.

ps. Off to Africa on Saturday and will be using two 1TB hard drives to back up all the footage, data, clips, movies - not sure what to call them. Will be back on Christmas Eve.

I wish you and all the other members on this forum a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year

Paul Inglis December 3rd, 2009 05:29 AM

I have been using the Belkin Archival Gold DVDs without any problems. I am just testing the BDs as they will hold 25GB apposed to 4.7GB.

Vincent: Hope your trip is successful and you enjoy it too! Have a good Christmas and Happy New Year yourself.

Steve Kalle December 3rd, 2009 12:44 PM

Actually, I bought them from Newegg so I highly doubt they are counterfeit. It seems a majority of the problems are when it switched layers as the verification stops at around 50%.

I just installed Nero and am burning so hopefully, it works better.

Blu Ray burners are rather cheap now. What single layer discs are recommended?