DVD Backup Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Trustee

DVD Backup Advice

I know many EX1/EX3 owners use DVDs as a part of their backup/archival process. I have been using ImgBurn(free) which worked fine before but I have been having problems with dual-layer Verbatims today. A;ready tonight, I have had about 5 of 10 not pass Verification after burning. Maybe its a bad batch but I highly doubt it as Verbatim is one of the best.

So, what software do you use for burning (is it for PC or Mac)? And does it allow you to use multiple burners?
Which brand of dvd has worked best for you?
What burn speed works best for you?

For anyone that uses Blu Ray discs, do you have any problems with bad discs?

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Trustee

I had a lot of trouble with Verbatim DVDs, I even purchased a new DVD drive because I thought my one had packed up, still had the problem. I now use Sony DVDs with no problems.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Not all Verbatim are alike. Verbatim DataLifePlus is their "archival" line. Taiyo Yuden also have an excellent reputation.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM   #4
Trustee

I had been using Verbatim for a number of years, its just the last two batches that caused the problem. But then again I did buy them from Maplins at a bargain price of 9.99 for a 25 spindle stack. They took a long time to write, generally X2 or X4 speed (discs are labled as X16) most had a record error.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Vortex Media

I'd say there's a chance you bought counterfeit DVDs that aren't the brand or model that you think they are, especially if you bought them through a discounter. The Chinese are getting pretty damn good at creating fakes of everything.

I always use Sony DVD-R discs and purchase them from Staples. In fact, I bought a spindle of 100 last night for $51. I think that's a fair price.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Trustee

I think you might be right on this Doug. I did return one batch to Maplins (Radio Shack in the US) and they counted the amount of discs I had used and then opened up a new pack and took out that number. Funny thing was the next batch were just as bad. Like you I now use Sony branded disc and they are OK.

ps. Off to Africa on Saturday and will be using two 1TB hard drives to back up all the footage, data, clips, movies - not sure what to call them. Will be back on Christmas Eve.

I wish you and all the other members on this forum a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM   #7
Major Player

I have been using the Belkin Archival Gold DVDs without any problems. I am just testing the BDs as they will hold 25GB apposed to 4.7GB.

Vincent: Hope your trip is successful and you enjoy it too! Have a good Christmas and Happy New Year yourself.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #8
Trustee

Actually, I bought them from Newegg so I highly doubt they are counterfeit. It seems a majority of the problems are when it switched layers as the verification stops at around 50%.

I just installed Nero and am burning so hopefully, it works better.

Blu Ray burners are rather cheap now. What single layer discs are recommended?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds