Best EX1 setting for multi-format delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Best EX1 setting for multi-format delivery

Hi All. I'm about to shoot my first production that will be released as both NTSC & PAL DVD's and potentially on Blue-Ray too.

I'm shooting in the UK so I'll be using either 1080p/25 or 1080i/50 so as not to suffer any frequency issues with studio lighting. I guess I could also shoot 720/50p if there's an advantage to that when it comes to conversion.

I wondered if anybody had done anything similar and had any recommendations as to which format would be best for later deliver on all three formats?

Many thanks

Paul.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Whenever I do anything for US (NTSC) DVD I shoot and master at either 60i or 30P. With an EX I would almost certainly shoot at 720P60. NTSC DVD'S will play fine on the vast majority of PAL DVD players so you only need to produce one master. Shooting 60P in the UK should not be an issue if you use the flicker reduce function. You only get strobing under discharge lightning, the worst culprits being sodium street lights. Any Studio fluorescent lighting should be using HF ballasts so there should not be any flicker. If you still uncomfortable shoot 720P30 with a 1/50th shutter.
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Alister.

I won't be able to test under the studio lights until Monday, but certainly under my household lighting flicker reduction doesn't seem to have much effect at all.

Shooting 720/60 looks the worst, especially with the shutter at 180 degrees. 1080/30 slows the banding down but it's still very visible both with and without flicker reduction. If I set 1080/30p though and set the shutter to 50 I don't notice any flicker at all, maybe that's the key.

Just out of interest why would you choose to shoot 720/60? Does the additional data in the extra frames come in useful during the export to NTSC DVD?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Joy; December 4th, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Trustee

If shooting 30P or 60i in the UK then set your shutter speed to 1/50 or 1/100 (I pressume these speeds are available on the EX1)
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Vincent, yes they certainly are.

Unless there's another advantage to shooting 720/60 @ 1/100th it looks like 1080/30 @ 1/50th is the way forward.
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you shoot at 60P then each frame becomes a field when you convert to 60i giving smooth motion and minimal artifacts. Converting 1080 60i down to SD 60i can be very hit or miss.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds