DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Does anyone here use the Azden SGM-2X Shotgun Mic with the Sony EX 1 ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/468870-does-anyone-here-use-azden-sgm-2x-shotgun-mic-sony-ex-1-a.html)

Eddie Coates December 3rd, 2009 04:36 PM

Does anyone here use the Azden SGM-2X Shotgun Mic with the Sony EX 1 ??

Any help would be great appreciated.

Eddie Coates December 9th, 2009 10:02 PM

...lol I guess not

Patrik Vale December 13th, 2009 06:04 AM

I have one, but what is the problem with yours?

Eddie Coates December 13th, 2009 06:59 AM

I am having no problems at all.

Just wondering who uses it and what type of results they are getting from using the Azden and the EX1

Don Bloom December 13th, 2009 12:40 PM

Probably close to the same results I got when I used one on my PD150 8 or so years ago.
It is my opinion the Azden shotguns are hot and tinny sounding, but gotta remember the audio on the 150's was not the best anyway, preamp problem. The 170s improved a bit but it still sounded hot and tinny to me. Hmmm, come to think of it, it sounded that way to me on my DSR250, DSR300 and JVC5000, but it could have been my ears. I sold it a ffew years ago after it sat on my self for a long while, have been using an AT897 when I need a shotgun and it sounds a hugh persent better than the Azden to me.
remember YMMV.

Chad Johnson December 14th, 2009 12:13 PM

That shotgun is a consumer level Electret Condenser type. It's not taken seriously. Try a Rode NTG-3, and get a free 300.00 blimp until the end of the month. Buy at the the DVeStore with the coupon code "DVinfo" for a free 225.00 K-Tec Boom Pole on top of that. I just did it, and now I have 525.00 of free kit, and a very sweet shotgun. Call them and confirm that the boom pole thing is still on, Guy Cochran will usually give you a deal just by talking to him. The NTG-3 at 700.00 compares almost exactly with the Senn MKH416, that goes for 1,200.00.

NTG-3 / MKH416 Comparison
YouTube - Sennheiser MKH 416 vs. RODE NTG-3

The (Free) Rode Blimp
YouTube - Rode Blimp

You should not cheap out on your audio gear. Especially something like a mic. If all your dialogue is coming through this nasal sounding consumer shotgun, you are shooting yourself in the foot. Remember that audio is even more important than image quality. You may find some people who say the Azden's sound OK, but they are most likely amateurs comparing the mic to the built-in stereo camera mic. If quality is important to you - start saving.

Rob Taylor December 14th, 2009 01:25 PM

Also remember how you are listening to the audio can make a difference. Using cheap PC speakers or cheap headphones can make good audio sound really bad.

Rob

Brian Rhodes December 14th, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Coates (Post 1455750)

Any help would be great appreciated.

I HAVE USED THE Azden SGM-1000 SERIES WITH any PROBLEMS with the EX1 and EX3
for my Hi level shoots I use wireless Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series and Sennheiser MKH-60 Shoot gun.

Paul Cronin December 14th, 2009 03:44 PM

Chad I purchased the NTG-3 a few months ago and have been very pleased with the results.

Scott Cantrell December 14th, 2009 04:00 PM

Chad, thanks for posting the comparison video on Youtube. That was very informative!

I have noticed alot of users overlook audio. The video is always number one of interest, but then they tend to skimp on thier audio products. This becomes very noticeable on the results. If you have a professional camcorder to shoot your video, having professional audio matters.

Tapeworks is currently selling the Rode NTG3 for $525.00 with the Blimp Winscreen and Suspension System for $1.00 from the manufacturer after purchasing the NTG3 microphone.
We do not include a free boompole. We can however provide great pricing on the K-Tek, Manfrotto or Lightwave Audio boompoles. Various options available from each manufacture.

Contact us toll free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc -DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Chad Johnson December 14th, 2009 04:05 PM

Still 525.00 for the NTG-3 and the blimp is a great deal. You could still buy a boom pole and come in under 700.00.

Not too shabby.