PMW-EX1 power-up problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #16
Major Player

My recent repair at Teaneck took four weeks. Cost, for replacing the prism block (dust on sensors) was $2,500- and change. My extended warranty, thankfully, covered it. I've just bought another one of those (not Sony's, though it's cheaper) for a recently ordered EX1R. With maintenance costs like this, how could I not? I agree with Marty that every time you send something in there's a real possibility that it might come back with a brand new problem. Like taking your car in to the shop. I appreciate Craig's cynicism on this and also would really like to know which dealer offers a loaner when your gear's in the shop. That would be very helpful.

Last edited by Mark OConnell; December 18th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #17
New Boot

Leonard - I'm not sure which board went on it ... I guess at that point it didn't matter to me. I'll try to find out for you. What I did notice is the hours and reset hours were both reset to zero. The last person I talked to seemed a little tight-lipped as to what went wrong. Yes, I'm glad I didn't have to send it back again for an upgrade.

Jason - I made the same request for Sony to call me BEFORE they shipped my EX1 back and they never did. I don't know what part of hold for pick-up at the FED EX depot they didn't understand; they shipped it back to my home address instead. I also heard "your camera is going out at end of the day" for a week. I'm thankful they fixed it instead of rushing the camera back. After the parts came in it took about 2 or 3 days to do the repair. I was very nice to everyone I talked to and even joked around a little. I think they expedited the repair just to keep me from further annoying them.
Bob Basile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Well, Bob you were correct no call back and the repair was completed last night. Camera ships out this afternoon and will have it tomorrow. From what I have been told by the call center reading the repair info off a screen to me; The Prism Block was replaced, Main Pwr board was replaced, Back panel was replaced, and latest Firmware loaded along with white balance and backfocus adjustments. Obviously I will have a lot to test out when it shows up tomorrow. Now I just have to trust Fed Ex is easy on the package in transit with millions of others...kind of a bad time to have it in the shipping channels... Lucky it is overnight Air so that will help minimize the beating... :) I will update on the condition and repairs after the Holiday.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #19
New Boot

Jason, you can rest easy, I'm sure your camera will come back fine. If I couldn't say anything else at least I can say they did a great job packaging. Things seem to be working OK with mine but I didn't recycle the shipping box just yet. Good luck with your "new" camera. I hope things work out well. Happy holidays!
Bob Basile is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds