PCI-E Express Card Reader for SxS & MxM cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Trustee

PCI-E Express Card Reader for SxS & MxM cards

I need a bit of advice please.
I just bought the PCI-E Express Card Reader for my SxS & MxM cards. (mxmexpress.com)
I'm a bit confused about the USB lead thats supplied with it.
It has one plug on one end and on the other end of the lead it has two plugs.
What end goes where?

I'm not sure what end of the lead connects to my Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard.
I have a free USB1 header (yellow) left on my motherboard, could it connect to that.
I did a test to see how much faster it copied my 32gb SxS card compared to offloading from the camera.
The camera took 1 hour and the card reader took 21 mins. So I'm well pleased with it so far.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Trustee

I have emailed mxmexpress and asked for their advice.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
I need a bit of advice please.
I just bought the PCI-E Express Card Reader for my SxS & MxM cards. (mxmexpress.com)
I'm a bit confused about the USB lead thats supplied with it.
It has one plug on one end and on the other end of the lead it has two plugs.
What end goes where?

I'm not sure what end of the lead connects to my Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard.
I have a free USB1 header (yellow) left on my motherboard, could it connect to that.
I did a test to see how much faster it copied my 32gb SxS card compared to offloading from the camera.
The camera took 1 hour and the card reader took 21 mins. So I'm well pleased with it so far.

Thanks in advance.
Which card reader did you end up buying? One of the ends connects to the USB header on mine but I don't remember two leads on one end. I hope you didn't get the one that requires a power source because I had a problem with that - it shorted itself out when I booted up the computer.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Barry, I bought this one MxM Express International Orders (MXM039)

It appears to be working now. i just wasn't sure of the USB ends.
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Will that work with a Mac?
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Trustee

That is more than twice the price of the one Barry and I use - the Siig JJ-000082-S1 PCIe to ExpressCard Bay (Newegg.com - SIIG JJ-000082-S1 PCIe to ExpressCard Bay - Case Accessories) For some reason, newegg stopped selling it but it has worked flawlessly and was only $50.

One thing to keep in mind - a SxS card MUST be inserted during boot up and then you can switch cards later by using Device Manager.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Steve - the Siig's are still widely available in the U.S. but I believe Anthony was having problems in finding a company that would ship internationally hence the higher price.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
One thing to keep in mind - a SxS card MUST be inserted during boot up and then you can switch cards later by using Device Manager.
Hi Steve, I just discovered that a boot-up was required, then as you say device manager after that.

So far, I'm really pleased with it, faster than the Sony reader and less than half the price. Plus, no camera sitting about, in the way, for offloading. We'll see how well it does after a few weeks.

Your right I'm sure about the price, I was going to buy the Sony card reader at almost £300
and as far as I know, it will not read the MxM cards.
I bought it here in the UK along with an MxM card so I was happy enough with the price for all, inc postage.

Thanks for the tip BTW.
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
..but I believe Anthony was having problems in finding a company that would ship internationally hence the higher price.
Yes Barry, thats correct.

As I said above, I was happy enough to pay the price i did, cheaper and fast than the Sony reader but we'll see how this MxM reader preforms, time will tell.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds