DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   IR Filters for EX1r for night shooting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469051-ir-filters-ex1r-night-shooting.html)

Bruce Quayle December 7th, 2009 01:25 AM

IR Filters for EX1r for night shooting?

I will be required to film sections of a documentary in a dark environment. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an Infrared filter that will fit the EX1r and allow it to shoot a subject that has been lit with Infrared light? Also, is there a reasonably priced IR filter or gel I can use over a normal (LED) camera or spot light?
Many thanks,

Bruce Quayle

Alister Chapman December 7th, 2009 01:39 AM

You will need a dedicated IR capable camera or one where the IR cut filter has been removed. Simply adding an additional filter to the front of a camera will not make it work with IR.

I use a Sony HC1 with dedicated infra-red illuminators. The IR lamps can be picked up very cheaply on ebay.

Bruce Quayle December 7th, 2009 01:59 AM

Thanks Alister,
I thought that might be the answer...but hope springs eternal. I have a consumer model that shoots in "night shot" mode with a built-in IR light, and was hoping the sort of technology that makes that possible might also be available in an add on form.
Cheers,
Bruce

Swen Goebbels December 9th, 2009 07:24 PM

The question is why Sony not just put their night view option also in cams like the EX1?

Years ago I allways thought night shoot is a useless option for consumer camcorders, but during the years I found myself in situations where a night shoot mode would be a very interesting option for documentation work.

Tony Stamp December 16th, 2009 04:25 PM

infrared light test footage

Hi guys ive been using Band A IR for about 20 years and besides using a SONY NIGHTSHOT camera and adding your own lighting i found modifing an old or new even CCTV camera and building a lighting unit to match the distance i was working at here are 3 LED based lights home made see what you think
YouTube - Mike Dixon helps test the new lights
in this clip i have the 216 LED unit running (max dist for Video 60mtrs)

Marty Welk December 16th, 2009 06:10 PM

dont all these low-light cameras pick up SOME IR ? like if you aim a remote control at it, cant they see the led flashing?

and if the IR led does show up, couldnt you just put some Major IR lighting on the subject and get at least some picture?
i tested both a consumer supernightshot camera (not set for nightshot) and it can see the led, but so to can the PD250, but not as bright.

pound the subject with some major watts of IR and i bet you can see something, just nothing like a supernightshot can. like with multiple 3watt Lumileds IR LEDs with tight optics (watts not milliwats or milicandela like 5mm leds).

i agree filters are light blocking items, unless the camera can pick up IR to begin with, no filter will change that unless it changes the lights frequency itself. but then again no filter blocks everything it is supposed to, so the IR filters still allow some light through.