DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Anyone have used this Wide angle adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469129-anyone-have-used-wide-angle-adapter.html)

Giannis Pass December 8th, 2009 11:34 AM

Anyone have used this Wide angle adapter?

Welcome to DS Video - CENTURY 0HD-06WA-AG (0HD06WAAG HD-06WA-AG HD06WAAG)
I need it to shoot weddings with the EX1R.
What is your opinion?
Thanks

Dave Morrison December 8th, 2009 11:57 AM

I'm fairly happy with mine but it depends on your tolerance for curvature at the edges of the frame. Since you'd be shooting weddings, you can probably get away with it. I use mine to shoot room interiors mostly, but you definitely see some bowing of straight lines near the edges of the frame. I'm guessing that this is the same lens as the one you are looking at:

.6X WIDE ANGLE HD ADP EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics

Another problem that you will face if you are outdoors is lens flare and dust. Since your camera lens will be in Macro Focus mode, you'll need to be VERY careful about dust on any of the lens surfaces as they will light up like snowflakes whenever the sun hits the front element.....not to mention lens flares.

Apart from that.....Hey! No problems. ;-)

dave

Tom Hardwick December 8th, 2009 01:43 PM

Well I beg to differ from Dave - I find the barrel distortion quite unacceptable and I look back on my wedding films shot with a barrel distorting Century lens and wince at the images of curving church spires and columns, of bendy wedding breakfast tables and doors that bow outwards as I follow the bride room to room.

Dave's right about flare spots though, but of course this applies to all types of wide-angle lenses. The way to limit the damage is to have spotless lenses, use no filters, have an efficient aspect ratio hood and use a camera with the biggest chips you can afford.

You've sussed the latter - your EX1-R has decent sized ½" chips, but I feel the 0.6x Century is a 'wow' skateboard's lens, not one that you'd like to use inside a cathedral.

tom.

Matt Davis December 8th, 2009 03:43 PM

It's a 'special effect' lens

Would concur this is a 'special effect' lens rather than $12k of serious broadcast glass that doesn't distort edges.

But it's small and light enough to keep with you AND USE (my Z1 wide wasn't used enough because it was too big and heavy) - and as a 'special effect' (as in w-i-d-e shots) it's just fine.

It is most definitely NOT a zoom through, you need to use the 'auto focus' ring position, switch to Macro, and switch autofocus to manual which can be tricky whilst juggling the lens, removing the built-in lens hood, but you get into the routine. I'm plugging it on and ripping it off on a shot by shot basis.

If you need a proper Wide, then the EX3 is going to be better with a full-on lens. The Sony and Century zoom-throughs are good (but heavy) but IMHO aren't really wide enough for my stuff.

And yes - keep it clean!

Dave Morrison December 8th, 2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1457805)
Well I beg to differ from Dave - I find the barrel distortion quite unacceptable and I look back on my wedding films shot with a barrel distorting Century lens and wince at the images of curving church spires and columns, of bendy wedding breakfast tables and doors that bow outwards as I follow the bride room to room.
tom.

Don't get me wrong, Tom. I think the curvature sucks big time. But, I have an EX1 and not an EX3 so I'm stuck with putting on an attachment. I come from a "prime lens" background so getting this hunk of curved glass was NOT something I wanted to do. However, the client who wanted this work done was okay with the curvature. Trust me.....I was mentally holding my nose the whole time he looked at the footage but they approved the look of it anyway.

I used to love to shoot with a rectilinear 15mm lens on my Nikons years ago and I really miss that capability, but until my money situation gets better, I'm living with this lens attachment.

John Hedgecoe December 9th, 2009 02:18 PM

I have this lens and find it acceptable but not great.

You cannot zoom through - at all. At zoom=0% there is no vignetting, but you start to get vignetting around z=5% and that continues to around z=20 to 25%, maxing out around 12-15%. Plus the image starts to get softer as you zoom out.

And yes, there is noticable barrel distortion and some CA on the edges, especially left and right sides.

Also, you cannot 'quickly' change this lens on the fly. Why Century did not implement a proper locking mechanism on the bayonett is beyond me.

Basically, I guess you get what you pay for. This lens is fairly inexpensive, but not really worthy of the Century name.