DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 to EX1r Upgrade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469315-ex1-ex1r-upgrade.html)

Denny Kyser December 11th, 2009 09:04 PM

EX1 to EX1r Upgrade?

Has anyone looked into the cost to upgrade a MINT EX1 to EX1r? I am hoping someone has looked at what they will bring on ebay, and know the cost to upgrade.

Also what are the improvements, besides the power button which to me would be huge. I do weddings where I do both video and photography and this button is killing me.

Thanks for any information.

Hiram Yates December 11th, 2009 09:21 PM

A friend of mine just got a slightly used (under 20 hours on the tally) EX1 from B&H for around $5000 shipped. Came with the standard stuff - a U30 batterty, charger, and 8GB SxS.

Other improvement include:
Cache Recording
Relocated Video Output (no longer in the way in the grip)
Improved Grin Design
HDMI Output

I'm sure I'm forgetting other improvements, but there are several threads in this forum that go over everything extensively.

Denny Kyser December 11th, 2009 09:26 PM

Thanks, mine probably has about the same usage, will have to look.
It seems to be about a $1200 cost to upgrade, would this be worth it, or not.

I do not like to throw money away, but also may be worth the upgrades.

Hoping others have considered it and will let me know what they are going to do.

Denny

Leonard Levy December 13th, 2009 04:10 PM

Whoa, this is the first I've heard that you can upgrade any of the EX1R improvements.

How about the Far Red/IR sensitivity? That would be a big deal.
Are you still getting maroon in some black fabrics ( you need to try a bunch to be sure).

And what about that power switch.

Lenny

Denny Kyser December 13th, 2009 04:48 PM

By upgrade I mean sell the EX1, buy the EX1R

James Venturi December 16th, 2009 04:32 PM

Hacking the EX1r Firmware to use with the EX1

This would be the best upgrade. I wonder if any of the features on the EX1r could be enabled with a firmware update on the EX1. Any ideas?

Denny Kyser December 16th, 2009 10:12 PM

I probably will be selling my ex1 with less than 25 hours of recording time on it and buying the EX1, so if you know anyone looking for an perfect EX1 let me know. It has 22 hours on it now, but may use it a little between now and I sell it.

John Galeano January 13th, 2010 11:12 PM

Do you guys think a place like B&H would take the ex1 for an upgrade? My ex1 has about 2-3 hours of record time maybe about 5 months old?

Robert Young January 14th, 2010 01:14 AM

If you go to the B&H site, to the used equipment area, they will give you an instant quote for the purchase of your camera & accessories.
Naturally, they will quote you "wholesale", because they need to turn it around for sale at "retail", but it is certainly a user friendly way to recycle your old equipment.

John Galeano January 15th, 2010 10:59 AM

Hey Robert thanks for the reply. I'll check out the website.

Jim Stamos January 15th, 2010 11:30 AM

ex1 to exr upgrade

they may not give as much as you should get for it. i finally had a chance to see the r up close yesterday at a trade show.
the ergonomics, which are my biggest reason for waiting are alittle better, but unless your holding it by the handle w/ flip out., regular handholding is still something that will be difficult to do for a long time w/o some sort of support. its just a heavier camera. but if you can get around that, hard to beat for 5800.00and 2 32 gig cards are 1200.00 now w/rebate

Tom Hardwick January 15th, 2010 11:46 AM

I tend to think sideways moves (Z1 to HMC100, say, or Z1 to Z7 even) are hardly ever worth the money. They won't make you a better filmmaker at all, they'll just cost you money. Face lifts are even less useful (PD150 to 170; DVX100A to DVX100B) are only of use if you've actually worn the original camera out.

But leap frogs are a different matter. If you trade the V1 for an EX1 you're talking real changes. So to with an HV30 to an NXCAM.

I reckon the change from EX1 to EX1R is a little sideways hop. Admittedly the R model has fixed a few niggles but you're not about to have a wow moment in front of your big TV. My view? The money's better spent on countless other things.

tom.

Marcus Durham January 15th, 2010 02:27 PM

I totally agree with Tom. I can't see any deal breaker with the EX1R, swapping over to one isn't going to earn me any extra money, in fact it will cost me.

It's a minor revision not a proper upgrade and people need to ask themselves what the business case is for swapping over.