Max Tripod Mount Weight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Max Tripod Mount Weight

Does anyone know what the max support weight is for the EX1 tripod mount? I have a Redrock Micro Matte Box, and often will carry the camera by the handle, with the tripod mount supporting the weight of the matte box. Should I be fine or is this a bad idea?
Sean Popke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

The EX1 mount is not very beefy, to say the least.

My plate system helps this. I have repaired cameras with torn out tripod plates both Ex1 and Canons. Be careful, and consider my stronger plate:
EX1 Stronger Plates

You can contact me if you have any questions:
olof@westsideav.com
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Does the EX3 tripod mount exhibit the same weakness as the EX1's?

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The tripod socket on the EX1 is held in by four very small screws. While it's enough to keep the camera mounted on a tripod, it's not designed to resist much tensile stress.

Pull on it hard enough and either the screws might pop or the socket itself can fracture.

To make matters worse, with something long attached to it (such as a Redrock adapter system) it's possible to apply enough leverage to easily snap it out.

My shoulder mount broke the socket once already. I now use a velcro strap to hold down the back end of the camera onto the shoulder mount, and that prevents any leverage from being applied to the socket.

Olof's ingenious design does the same thing, but a lot more elegantly. I'm planning to order one of those eventually since the velcro strap gets in the way of the SxS card door.
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Our three EX1s now have Olaf's plate attached. Not only does the plate prevent the camera being wrecked it can prevent wobble between the camera and the tripod release plate depending on the design of the release plate. I cannot recommend his plate highly enough, it really is a mandatory accessory for the EX1, as is Jeff's plate for the EX3. I'd add Jeff's mic mount for both cameras as well.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds