EX1 Audio? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 21st, 2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Trustee

Chad, how do you have the NTG 3 routed to both channels? (I am about to order a NTG 3 to replace my NTG 2 so I can get the Blimp for $1)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM   #17
Major Player

Not Chad, but I believe you use the Audio Input menu to select Mic 1 as your audio input and it will split it across both channels. Then you can set your Internal Trim and External Trim to suit. I usually run one channel at the "desired" setting and run the other one a little hotter or softer, depending on what my subject matter happens to be. That way, I have a "safety" track to work with in case I need it.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Chad, how do you have the NTG 3 routed to both channels? (I am about to order a NTG 3 to replace my NTG 2 so I can get the Blimp for $1)
Yes, what Dave said. In the audio menu you can have ch1 go to both channels. But I think that's only for ch1. Ch2 alone may not work.

Remember to keep your audio levels (the dials on the outside of the camera) at 6 or below. Otherwise you will introduce noise unnecessarily.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #19
Major Player

The only thing I do differently from Chad is that I put the external trim dials at "5" to begin my settings as that is essentially "0", or no gain or cut. Once I get the internal Trim set so that I get decent levels, then I use the external to boost and cut as needed. I usually carry a "cheat sheet" with me all the time that has the basic settings I need for all my mics. They ALL have different output levels so they each need their own internal Trim setting.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Ahh...let me correct my views on this issue.

A MIXER is not as essential with the EX1 IMO if you only need two channels. But an EXTERNAL RECORDER is a better option if you have it. 24-bit/96kHz (or insert your sampling rate here) may be a placebo effect but I'd rather err on the side of quality than regret it later.

That being said, the circuitry/preamp built into the EX cameras are fantastic at 16-bit/48kHz.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #21
Major Player

I have decided to keep the SD 302 mixer, I like the option of being able to record to the Camera and my Sony PCM-D50 at the same time. I also like how easy it is to visually see the audio levels.

For now I will keep the mixer and use it when audio is critical.

Thanks everyone for the input, I will skip the mixer on occasion and enjoy the freedom of less equipment and simplicity for less important events.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds