DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   My Problem With My XDCAM - Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469630-my-problem-my-xdcam-help.html)

Kevin Spahr December 18th, 2009 07:52 AM

My Problem With My XDCAM - Help!

When I first got my EX3 things were fine. It was happy just to be held and have it's buttons pushed.

Then it started asking for sensible things, like another battery, some more memory cards, a reinforcing base plate, and an IR filter. But as time went by it asked for more things like a new fluid head with tripod, a zoom controller, and better audio. After giving it all the things it asked for, it wants more expensive things like a Nanoflash. Now it's saying it would be nice to have a big brother with 2/3 inch chips!

I tried wrapping the camera in tin foil to block it from messing with my mind but that doesn't seem to be working.

I have noticed one thing, it doesn't seem to be able to effect my wife. She does not seem to want to buy anything for it and actually, she doesn't even feel the need to hold it.

Do you think a Sony technician could make some adjustments to reduce the camera's psychic output power level?

I have to go, the UPS man is at the front door with a delivery...

Eugene J. Kulak December 18th, 2009 08:22 AM

Give the EX-3 to your wife and take up cooking, at least you can re-use the tin foil...

Mark Bolding December 18th, 2009 09:06 AM

I feel your pain; I am just starting to outfit my EX1R and hoping not to make too many expensive mistakes.

mb

Charles Newcomb December 18th, 2009 09:24 AM

There must be a government bailout program for this problem. There seems to be one for everything else.

Barry J. Weckesser December 18th, 2009 09:56 AM

Kevin - I am in the same situation but have an EX-1 - seems like this mind control system works for the whole EX line - maybe a new firmware upgrade could control problem :)

Brian Barkley December 18th, 2009 10:10 AM

I'm not getting this at all. You've made the decision not to got to work for someone else, but rather to be in business for yourself. All small businesses that I know of require capital investment of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment. Not only that, but they are no guarantees that you business will be a success.

In 2009, I've not only purchased my EX-3, but expensive lighting gear including a cuculoris kit, audio gear including a Schoeps boom mic (CS4) which is one of the most expensive mics on the market, several thousand dollars in memory cards . . . and new Adobe Premiere CS4 HD non-linear editing . . . I've spent upwards of $50,000.00 in 2009 alone, but I am not compaining. This equipment is 1st class in its price category and I love what it does for me. A cameraman friend of mine in Los Angeles has almost $150,000.00 in his camera package alone.

We are spending mere peanuts compared to many video professionals. I do not understand the wining about the small cost of the additional equipment that goes along with having a good package. Why are you in this business?

Matt Davis December 18th, 2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1461759)
Do you think a Sony technician could make some adjustments to reduce the camera's psychic output power level?

I think you'll find that this is simply a byproduct of generating an awesomeness field that's actually designed to influence clients positively.

Don Bloom December 18th, 2009 12:38 PM

I don't think Kevin is complaining. I think he's making a satorial comment on what many of us go thru when we get a new camera. Other new things are needed or at least wanted or is it desired, whatever the case I personally saw some nice humor in his post, no complaining.

Barry J. Weckesser December 18th, 2009 01:24 PM

Don- that is exactly how I took it and why I chimed in - it is just what happens - and those of us who are not pro's and are just obsessed hobbyists (like myself), well........ This is all in fun and not meant to be a serious thread.

Olof Ekbergh December 18th, 2009 02:15 PM

I think the definition of a Pro is someone who works really hard to support his camera/lighting/audio/studio/editing suite.

I know I do. As soon as I think I am getting ahead something happens or a job comes along that requires another investment, just to stay competitive. That is how I explain it to my CEO/wife anyhow.

Olof

Brian Luce December 18th, 2009 02:29 PM

Kevin, get rid of the wife. She jeopardizing your relationship with your camera. No marriage is worth that. That's the sacrifice most of us have made here.

Garrett Low December 18th, 2009 02:34 PM

I just got my EX3 a couple of months ago and have done 3 significant shoots with it. Each time I've identified another add on that I "must" figure out how to acquire. Now, after seeing what a beautiful picture the stock 35Mbps codec can deliver, I've somehow convinced myself that I "need" to have the ability to go one step higher and get a NanoFlash :).

Olof, if you've got tips on how to pitch to the boss (wife) I'd sure like to hear them. I think I'm just about at the end of my rope with her. The next request is probably going to land me sleeping in the shed in the backyard. I think I need to enter the gearhead addiction 12 step program.

:)

Garrett

Mark Bolding December 18th, 2009 02:46 PM

Too bad there is no way to purchase a really expensive sense of humor:]

Marty Welk December 18th, 2009 04:04 PM

rule of thumb, buy camera, have 50% more money avilable for "accessories" for the same.
aka 150% listed price.

Chad Johnson December 18th, 2009 09:08 PM

Tell me about it. I won a 2nd EX1, and that was quite the blessing. But then it talked to my first EX1 and is now demanding all the gear I purchased for it as well! They gang up on me and brow beat me about ARRI lights, and tripods, and media. God the media! And they say "Oooh Chad, how can you tell what you're editing without a professional calibrated HD monitor?" or "We want wide angle adapters - Pleeeeeeeze!"

Cameras...... They are so cute though.