W/A lens service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

W/A lens service

FYI

There was some confusion as to who services the W/A lens that Fujinon makes specifically for the EX-3. Sony or Fuji? Even the Sony people were unsure.

Well, it's Fujinon. I just sent mine in because the zoom was not zooming well.

This is only for the W/A. I believe that if you have a problem with the stock lens that comes with the EX-3, that's still a Sony warantee repair.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Major Player

can i ask what "not zooming well" means?
and was this right after you purchaced it? or after many zooms?
and what enviroment was the lens used in? does it get exposed to natural elements?
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Lens would stutter or hesitate on slow zoom in. Lens has seen VERY VERY light use since new. Can't say absolutely but I think it came with the problem.
Fujonon in Wayne NJ is very supportive, even offering a loaner lens.
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Major Player

i was wondering with all this plastic in stuff (nowdays) and it comming out of machines and molds, and being quickly tossed together , if a little WEAR, might smooth off the edges a bit. get a little plastic grind going there.
i would bet they avoid almost every form of lubrication, as it can change over time, be effected by heat and cold, that users could manage to get it on the glass , even if it was an impossibility :-)

but i donno, being in the market for this junk, i would like to know , not how many weeks it takes to fix it, but what the original problems are and how to surpass them somehow, even if i have to take the lense apart myself.

could japanese manufactures have folded to international pressure and cheapskates jerks like me and turned over parts of thier manufacturing to China :-) the new Fujixiwang lenses. (not that china cant manufacture great stuff, just that when they want to up profits they get china to maufacture junk)
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Major Player

It's under warantee. Not worth messing with.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Hope it works out for you Ed. I would be just a bit upset about laying out that amount of money for the wide-angle lens made for the EX and have it bugger up like that on the zoom of all things.

How is the barrel distortion on the lens, pretty clean when extended at full wide?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Major Player

laying out $4000 is a hell of a lot less than $20,000 for a 2/3" HD W/A. you get what you pay for. Hopefully Fuji service will come through. Any piece of manufactured equipment can have hickups
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Fuji service sent me a brand new loaner W/A while they figure out what to do with my W/A. Very helpful service coordinator. I have a sense they may tell me to keep the replacement.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Does your loaner lens have the same problem? hopefully not.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Major Player

finally put the loaner W/A up to look at.

It does have some barrel distortion. My unscientific observation is that the distortion is less than I would expect for a W/A lens on a 1/2" imager for $4000. Not any different that what I see in $20,000 HD W/A lenses for 2/3" cameras.

The lens zooms fine, the skipping is not there.

I own a microforce zoom control. I think they sell for about $2000 now. That's for the controller only. Of course I get fantastic zooms on broadcast lenses; much better than what I can get on either EX lens I own. But these 2 EX lenses do pretty well with my Manfrotto zoom control. Significantly better than my panasonic DVX100.

Here's a trick I just discovered. You can set the zoom control settings for the handle to do a very slow creep but it can't speed up. The external zoom control won't do as slow a creep but it can ramp up to a faster speed.

Combine the two...After starting the slow creep with the handle, then add in the remote zoom control to ramp up the speed. you get a wider zoom speed range.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds