DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   pmw350 in SD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469746-pmw350-sd.html)

Boris Barel December 20th, 2009 04:12 PM

pmw350 in SD

Is the lens on 350 going to be more tele (10?) in SD 4/3 DV mode with the optional board?

Alister Chapman December 21st, 2009 04:25 AM

No, it will be the same.

Boris Barel December 21st, 2009 02:08 PM

Are you sure? I thought there is some cropping involved.

Alister Chapman December 21st, 2009 02:18 PM

No cropping in SD 16:9 and just the usual edge crop in 4:3, so focal length is the same. The full sensor is used in both HD and SD.

Roddy Jamieson December 21st, 2009 02:40 PM

May be same focal length, but due to the cropping the angle of view will be less, will appear to be not as wide as in 16:9.

Boris Barel December 21st, 2009 04:58 PM

So, as I suspected, 8 is not wide at all. Closer to 40mm on 35stills. But, hey what can we
do, it's only physics right? This means I need to get a 2/3 wide SD lens. Something around 6 will do I suppose.
What about pool feed, does anybody know if there is an option to record from a pool feed/dsng van?

David Heath December 21st, 2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris Barel
What about pool feed, does anybody know if there is an option to record from a pool feed/dsng van?

Assuming you're still talking about 4:3 SD, I think it will, but only via Firewire. Obviously, you can get SDI-Firewire convertors, and I assume you can get analogue PAL-Firewire as well.

Specs here - http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowP...DCAMCamcorders

Alister Chapman December 22nd, 2009 02:35 AM

There is a menu option to select the record source as firewire or camera. Firewire operates in both HDV and SD modes so it is reasonable to assume that the firewire in will work in SD. I have not tested this though. There are no other inputs at the moment. The camera has a 50 pin expansion slot so who knows what might get added in the future.

The FOV with the kit lens is pretty much the same as an EX1R or EX3 so you would have the same edge crop in 4:3 with them as well. It's completely normal for 16:9 cameras.

Mike Marriage December 22nd, 2009 06:04 AM

Is the SD mode now standard? I'd be pretty annoyed having to pay for it as it is standard on the EX1R!

Alister Chapman December 22nd, 2009 12:59 PM

No, SD is not standard, you have to buy a hardware dongle.

Alister Chapman December 23rd, 2009 03:08 AM

SD I-Link Clarification

I have been informed by those in the know that the i-link input cannot be recorded in SD mode. You can use it to preview incoming i-link SD in the viewfinder but the camera cannot record the signal in SD. So if you are using an external recording device such as a deck or MRC1K you can watch SD clips back, but not record them internally.

If you are going to be doing a lot of news work in SD and need to record pool feeds this is a bit of a pain and will mean a separate recorder would be needed. One possible option would be a NanoFlash as this can record SD via HDMI or SDi at very high quality using the IMX codec, which is quite a bit better than DV. Then when your shooting you would have the option to shoot HD in the camera as well as either HD or SD with the NanoFlash by down converting in camera over SDi. If you need firewire then you could use an MRC1K.

Mike Marriage December 23rd, 2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1463457)

Thanks Alister, Any idea on price?

David Heath December 23rd, 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1463726)
I have been informed by those in the know that the i-link input cannot be recorded in SD mode. You can use it to preview incoming i-link SD in the viewfinder but the camera cannot record the signal in SD.

Which does make their literature very misleading, IMO. It lists "HDV (HDV 1080i)/DVCAM stream input/output" under i-link, and the obvious assumption is that it means it can record it. Is it a case of having been disabled for taxation reasons, and if so is it possible it may vary from country to country?

Alister Chapman December 24th, 2009 01:59 AM

HI David. Yes the literature is a little unclear. HDV can be recorded but SD cannot. I don't think it's a tax issue.
I believe the SD option has a street price of around £500.

Steve Cottrell December 24th, 2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1463457)

Hi Alistair,

I'm a little confused. Can you clear something up for me? If I buy a PMW-350 and want to record SD in the camera (for UK news programmes - major clients for me) exactly what do I need to buy in addition to the camera, and will it be able to record SD internally onto the SxS cards?

Many thanks

Steve