DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PMW 350 remote focus control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469750-pmw-350-remote-focus-control.html)

Ronnie Martin December 20th, 2009 06:47 PM

PMW 350 remote focus control

Anyone know if the 350 has the same problem with installing a remote focus control like the EX-3 and ex-1 on the stock lens? I saw the focus control offered by Varizoom and it looked like a compromise when compared to the normal mechanical focus control for pro lenses. My DSR 500 had a Canon lens with a focus block that screwed into the side of the lens. It had a flexible cable that attached to a handle mounted on the tripod arm and really worked super.

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Page 1

William Griffin December 20th, 2009 09:51 PM

If you have a old Canon zoom control....you might want to look at this link:

8 Pin Canon Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220489485054 end time Jan-01-10 09:18:51 PST)

I got one of these for my Fujion zoom control that I had on my old Betacam and the cable works real well, and it saved me some bucks in the long run. And the owner will build you a special cable, if you need too. What I like about this, is that I can still use my zoom controller that I spent big bucks on and still get good or better controller for my EX3.....

HTH

Alister Chapman December 21st, 2009 04:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You should be able to use a standard Fujinon remote focus on the 350K lens. The focus ring has two raised gear rings around it with 2 different pitches as well as the threaded screw holes for attaching the gear block. So it looks like a standard remote focus will fit. I did not test this but it's certainly going to be a lot simpler than with the EX1/EX3. The remote zoom connector is the standard 8 pin threaded hirose as found on most Fujinon Pro lenses. I've attached a close up photo of the lens.

Ronnie Martin December 21st, 2009 09:12 AM

Thanks guys for your replies. I bought the Johnny Jib zoom control shortly after my first EX-1 and it works super. However, I don't think I paid $100 for it at seen on E-bay. What I have been looking for is a way to control the focus manually like the controls for Canon and Fujion Pro lenses. I saw the Varizoom product but it looks cumbersome to me. I am sure it works fine because all the products I have purchased from Varizoon over the years have been outstanding.

Thanks to all of the people on this forum and to Chris Hurd for the information that I have gleaned from reading your posts. I hope that you all have a Merry Christmas and that Next year will be better than ever.

Take care

Ronnie Martin
Page 1

Ronnie Martin December 21st, 2009 03:58 PM

BTW Have any of you Ex-3 users found a manual focus controller other than the Varizoom?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Page 1