DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Another Media Error problem with MxR & Transcend 16GB SDHGC Class 6 combo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469753-another-media-error-problem-mxr-transcend-16gb-sdhgc-class-6-combo.html)

Marcus Durham December 27th, 2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1465002)
Zsolt, the challenge with SDHC and adaptors is that manufacturing processes have changed and do change over time. It's not that people are "all over the place" in their thinking. Transcend and Sandisk have changed the way they make the cards. Kensington has changed the way they make the adaptors. MxR and MxM have changed as well.

Exactly. The thing is you need to keep abreast of what the current thinking is as these things aren't set in stone. The cards are memory products and just like any other type of memory the manufacturing process can change for a variety of reasons from yields from the silicon and market price pressures to sourcing the memory from a different factory.

Current thinking is to use a MxR or MxM with a ATP or certain types of Sandisk. 6 months ago it was Transcend or just one type of Sandisk. Now Transcend cards have lower performance and aren't suitable for reasons that are probably linked to price pressure (look how much the cost has reduced on these cards compared to the ATP's which are nearly twice the price in the UK).

Due to the speed things have changed some people still recommend and sell the old combos. Your best bet is always to check this forum. Generally we're at the cutting edge and will spot things way before anyone else.

SDHC is a homebrew solution and you need to be on top of it all if you are going to use it. If you don't really have a reasonable understanding of what is involved and how it all works, you are probably better off with SxS.

Ian Campbell December 27th, 2009 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=Michael B. McGee;1463062]

i just returned my "red label/stripe" Transcend card for these "blue label/stripe" cards.
Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]: Electronics
if they don't work, then i'll have to try either one of these options.
1) Sandisk Ultra II Class 4
2) Sandisk Extreme III
3) ATP ProMax
4) Hoodman RAW

Hi, Michael . . .

Hope your lab testing of the SDHC goes well, and you find some cards that work nicely. Please let us know your findings.

I too have been looking for some back-up SDHC cards -- I have both the RAW and the MXR adapters. I just tested a couple of the SanDisk Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 32 GB cards. I couldn't get either of them to format in either the RAW or MXR adapters. They just don't work for me. Funny thing, I didn't give up. I found that the SanDisk Ultra Class 4 16GB cards work great. I don't know what the Ultra (without the II designation) means as the card specs look similar -- but the packaging is different. I tried the Ultra 16GB in both brands of adapters I have -- and they seem to work without failing after three full card test recordings. I played around with them a fair bit and didn't once have a "restore media" issue. The nice thing is the cards are only about $50.00 each. The dealer doesn't stock any 32GB, which I'd prefer -- but hey, 16GB is cool too.

On a side note: When I got one of my cameras, I was given a class 2 SanDisk Ultra II 16GB SDHC card, and it's worked flawlessly on several occasions. And this one is only rated class 2!

It seems there are so many unknown factors which can make an SDHC work or fail. I guess when we find media that seems to perform . . . stock up!

Ian

Craig Seeman December 27th, 2009 02:39 PM

i bought two 32GB Sandisk Ultra II Class 2 cards in January 2009. They have worked flawlessly. Something about those Class 2 cards work. Wish they were still available. Right now if I were to buy more 32GB cards I'd go with ATP ProMax.

Alex Dolgin December 27th, 2009 04:42 PM

[quote=Ian Campbell;1465058]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1463062)

i just returned my "red label/stripe" Transcend card for these "blue label/stripe" cards.
Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]: Electronics
if they don't work, then i'll have to try either one of these options.
1) Sandisk Ultra II Class 4
2) Sandisk Extreme III
3) ATP ProMax
4) Hoodman RAW

Hi, Michael . . .

Hope your lab testing of the SDHC goes well, and you find some cards that work nicely. Please let us know your findings.

I too have been looking for some back-up SDHC cards -- I have both the RAW and the MXR adapters. I just tested a couple of the SanDisk Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 32 GB cards. I couldn't get either of them to format in either the RAW or MXR adapters. They just don't work for me. Funny thing, I didn't give up. I found that the SanDisk Ultra Class 4 16GB cards work great. I don't know what the Ultra (without the II designation) means as the card specs look similar -- but the packaging is different. I tried the Ultra 16GB in both brands of adapters I have -- and they seem to work without failing after three full card test recordings. I played around with them a fair bit and didn't once have a "restore media" issue. The nice thing is the cards are only about $50.00 each. The dealer doesn't stock any 32GB, which I'd prefer -- but hey, 16GB is cool too.

On a side note: When I got one of my cameras, I was given a class 2 SanDisk Ultra II 16GB SDHC card, and it's worked flawlessly on several occasions. And this one is only rated class 2!

It seems there are so many unknown factors which can make an SDHC work or fail. I guess when we find media that seems to perform . . . stock up!

Ian

Ian, just FYI the 32GB cards only work with the new 2nd generation MxR adapters, they are out last couple of months. So if yours are older than that it would explain why the 16GB worked, but not 32GB.
HTH

Ian Campbell December 27th, 2009 06:13 PM

Hi, Alex . . .

Thanks for the heads-up regarding newer MXR adapters. I was testing two 32GB class 4 SanDisk Ultra II (approx. 6 months old) in my MXR and RAW adapters -- so likely being older adapters, this is why the cards wouldn't work as you say.

Question: I am able to use Transcend 32GB cards with the older adapters? Do the newer adapters improve compatibility for the Transcends and / or other brand 32GB cards?

I just purchased (haven't yet used) two MXR adapters at Cine Able Tech in NY, last month. Is there any way from the packaging, etc. to know if these are the newer adapters? I don't have the 32GB SanDisk to test any longer to see if the new adapters perform with the cards.

Many thanks.

Ian

Alex Dolgin December 27th, 2009 06:22 PM

Ian, the 1st generation MxR adapters worked with 32GB Transcend only. The 2nd generation works with any major brand provided they are fast enough (Class 6). Abel Cine, as any other US dealer never carried 1st generation MxR adapters, only 2nd generation. So you should be OK. Let us know how you make out.
Regards

Ian Campbell December 27th, 2009 09:31 PM

Hi, Alex . . .

Thanks very much for your quick help and input. Much appreciated.

Even though the class 6 are recommended, I am still testing the 16GB SanDisk Ultra class 4 with great results. Have you found the SanDisk class 4 too risky? Will your site, at some point, show recommendations for card brands, sizes, etc. which show considerable promise.

Thanks again . . .

Ian

Alex Dolgin December 27th, 2009 09:57 PM

PM sent.
Regards.

Gints Klimanis December 28th, 2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin (Post 1465152)
Ian, the 1st generation MxR adapters worked with 32GB Transcend only.

I bought a first generation MxR directly from the Autralian manufacturer. Sandisk Extreme III (30 MB/sec) and Transcend (Green stripe) Class 6 both work for me in 16 GB capacity, although I never overcrank.

Alex Dolgin December 28th, 2009 08:16 AM

Correct, they work with the 16GB cards from major brands like Sandisk, Transcend; they also worked with Transcend 32GB from day one. When 32GB memory became mainstream, E-films redesigned their MxR (also LCR) adapter to accept all fast 32GB memory cards.

Michael B. McGee December 29th, 2009 07:55 PM

Warning!!! Fyi:

do not buy these Transcend cards from Amazon.com. They're supposed to be the "green" labeled(as pictured) cards, but you receive "red" label cards. this just happened to me and another individual on this forum. it's been clearly stated that "red" label cards will not work in ExpressCard adapters with EX cameras.

Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]: Electronics

Gints Klimanis January 1st, 2010 06:56 PM

I'm also learning that there are issues with my early MXR SDHC adapters and the slot in which it operates. My Transcend green stripe 16 GB card showed a media restore error, but the EX1 failed to format the card from MXR adapter in Slot A. When I put the SDHC card in slot B's MAX adapter, no warning messages were issued, and I was able to use the SDHC media for a full hour of recording.

John Maler January 6th, 2010 08:38 PM

MXR as scratch disk?

Hi everyone. Like many of you, I bought 2 MxR cards direct from e-films in Australia. They are the older cards which I suppose means they have a limitation on 32 gb cards.

Since the expresscard interface is supposed to be speedy, if we put a decent SDHC card in the MxR, I was wondering about using the card as a scratch disk. It seems like the solid state nature of the card, plus the fast expresscard interface, should make for a quick read/write. Has anyone tried this? Any reasons why it should or shouldn't work?

Thanks all - your advice is appreciated!
John Maler
jmaler@theindygroup.com

Craig Seeman January 6th, 2010 09:07 PM

The older MxR is not quite as capable as the new MxM apparently but I have no problem using my Sandisk Ultra II 32GB Class 2 cards in them since January of last year.

All these adaptors are USB whereas SxS is PCIe so if you have an expresscard interface that can handle both such as a typical laptop, the SxS will copy at about twice the speed in my testing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scratch disk" in this workflow. I wouldn't consider using them for playback while editing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Maler (Post 1468913)
Hi everyone. Like many of you, I bought 2 MxR cards direct from e-films in Australia. They are the older cards which I suppose means they have a limitation on 32 gb cards.

Since the expresscard interface is supposed to be speedy, if we put a decent SDHC card in the MxR, I was wondering about using the card as a scratch disk. It seems like the solid state nature of the card, plus the fast expresscard interface, should make for a quick read/write. Has anyone tried this? Any reasons why it should or shouldn't work?

Thanks all - your advice is appreciated!
John Maler
jmaler@theindygroup.com

John Maler January 6th, 2010 09:32 PM

MxR as scratch disk?

Thanks Craig - I should have been a bit more clear. I have a 2007 Mac Book Pro with a tiny 160 GB hard drive, so I'm often looking for a fast external drive solution.

Right now, I edit off a firewire 800 connected lacie external drive. I was wondering if I could edit off the my express card mxr with a fast SDHC card to speed things up a bit.

I've noticed I can export a .mov file from final cut pro to the mxr card pretty quickly, but I don't know if there are any risks to using the MxR as a storage / editing device.

I'm still learning here, but I was hoping that the read/write speeds of the MxR and SDHC card could save me some time.