EX1r image stabilizer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1r image stabilizer

Just received the new EX1r and I note that the image stabilizer is quite audible when in operation, is this normal? The stabilizer works as expected.

Happy Christmas everyone,

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Geoff I have the EX1 not r and the IS is not audible at all.
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Addis View Post
Just received the new EX1r and I note that the image stabilizer is quite audible when in operation, is this normal?
I don't think so. My new EX1R doesn't make a sound (okay, so I can hear it zoom with internal mics). Didn't even know IS COULD make a sound. Hmmm.
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm hearing a low level 'whine' as the stabilizer does its work. As expected, it is more noticeable when zoomed in and although I have yet to check if it is recorded when using the internal mic, I suspect that it could well be. Following all the problems I had wth the original EX1, I am considering asking for it to be replaced.

Geoff
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Are you certain you're not hearing the auto iris?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Positive, I'm noyt using auto iris. You can hear the IS working when zoomed in and you move the camera a little, otherwise it is quiet.

Geoff
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I don't think so. My new EX1R doesn't make a sound (okay, so I can hear it zoom with internal mics). Didn't even know IS COULD make a sound. Hmmm.
me neither, i didnt think they put motors type things in OIS, i always thought it was a magnetic pull kinds of things, and i didnt think they put tiny gyros on the stabelisation lens, but use accelerometer type sencing interpreted to the motion that occurs, then moving the lens to compensate. we know they already have an accelerometer in doing the level stuff.

so are you hearing a tiny gyro motor wizzing as soon as you turn it on, or noise only when the lens element is required to move to do its compensation?

if a motor is in use to do the movement, it would be heard most when the motor had to rev up to high speeds to do the compensation at the rate you required it to. the amount you hear the motor would probably be relative to the speed of it having to compensate. aka the sound would be relative to how badly the camera was moving, and the zoom level when it compensates more because there would be more movement on the screen.

because compensation is not done with a floating system, the lens is moved with horizontal and vertical "actuators" (of whatever type) so a pan only or a tilt only would be only one motor, a wild bump both motors. so zoom all the way in and have the camera going all over the place (physically when using accelrometers), should have the most noise.

(just trying to formulate my own test).

i can hear a digital tookie bird in mine.

Last edited by Marty Welk; December 24th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, I'm not sure of what mechanics are used, but I have now been able to compare the noise from the EX1r and my earlier EX1. The EX1 also produced a similar, but slightly less audible sound, so I suspect that everything is OK. Being a classical music recording engineer, perhaps I'm more aware of odd noises - blast!

Thanks for everyone's input, I'm now going to play with my new toy. Have a great Christmas.

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds