LED Video Light for Sony PMW EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Comer 1800 only takes Sony L-series batteries or third party NP-F970, NP-F770 compatible batteries. For Comer 900, there're 4 models that take different battery packs.

Comer CM-LBPS900 LED Light - Sony L-Series Battery
Comer CM-LBPC900 LED Light -Canon BP-900 Battery
Comer CM-LEX900 LED Light -Sony EX1/EX3 Battery
Comer CM-LBPP900 LED Light - Panasonic CGA/CGP Battery

I checked with Comer. They have no plan to make 1800 light uses other batteries other then the Sony L-Series batteries.
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Ed

What do u mean by it wont work with ex-batteries?? Can u please explain on this. Thanks.
Pushpanatha de Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
And I'd not even heard of the Comer.

However, will put in a big shout for the Dedo 'LEDzilla'. A colleague had one, using it to good effect on a location shoot we were working on together. Mixed lighting scenarios: needed to punch some light into daylight shadows, add a bit of sun in interior shots, a bit of drama in a staged shot, throw a beam of light a long way to pick out a face, and to lift general hotel corridor lighting in a soft and gentle manner.

The LEDzilla dealt with it all. Lens system can throw light from a little tiny package. Diffuser can lift shadows. Dimmer can pull down lighting to match existing stuff. Daylight running, so no filtration and full power for outdoor stuff. Wish I'd bought LEDzilla instead of LitePanels Micro, may have to buy one anyway.
The Dedo looks interesting but I doubt that it has the light output of the Comer 1800. I haven't found one on-camera LED light to outperform the Comer as far as light output goes. I can't find any photometric charts for the Dedo so can't make a direct comparison.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpanatha de Silva View Post
What do u mean by it wont work with ex-batteries?? Can u please explain on this. Thanks.
You should ask taky about this, I believe he is the distributor.

These lights have a plate on them to accept a battery. From what he posted earlier, the 900 version can be had with a battery plate that accepts the EX battery. The 1800 does not have an EX battery plate available. You would have to use a different battery to power the light or provide an external power source for the light.

One option I believe would work is to use the very large EX battery from swit or others that have an external power tap for a light in addition to powering the camera. You would have only one battery powering the camera & the light.

Anyone doing this? Details appreciated
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Comer 1800 light only made using Sony NP-Fxxx batteries. For the 900 light, it has 4 models but they aren't just battery plate that interchangable.

Comer lights also has a DC-in jack that you can connect to external power such as Anton Bauer. It includes 2 D-tap cables for connection. If you want to use your own cable, you just have to make sure you have the right polarity.

The NP-Fxxx batteries and chargers are relatively inexpensive. Also, LED consumes less power. So with just 1 or 2 batteries, it pretty much last all day shooting.
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
There is a Comer 900 light that uses Sony EX1/EX3 battery.

Comer CM-LEX900 LED Light (Sony EX1/EX3 Battery) | L.A. Color Shop.
There's something I don't quite get on the linked website - it says the 900 accepts BP-Uxx battery, yet it's photographed with the NP series batteries... Does it accept BOTH?
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Oh.. that was just a mistake. I copy and paste the description from CS-LBPS900. Thanks for pointing that out =)

The CM-LEX900 only take the BP-Uxx batteries for the Sony EX1/EX3 cam. It will not take NP-F9xx batteries.
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #23
Inner Circle

The LEX900 page also mentions the NP batteries at the beginning of Specification section (though I assume this is just a mistake) - you may want to correct.

Also, does the LEX1800 version exist? Cannot find it on your website...
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Oops, sorry.

Should have read the entire thread...
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Piotr, thanks for pointing that out. I updated the product description.

For the Comer 1800 light, it only has 1 model that uses Sony L-series batteries.
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Taky,

Under this link: http://lacolorshop.com/products/pdf/cm1800.pdf

- one can read about the CM-LED1800, which has NO battery plate - just the D-tap cable.

How much would this one be? I cannot find it on your website...
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Piotr, we do not carry the CM-LED1800 model but I can place a order for you. It will take about 3 to 4 weeks to get here. It is the same price as LBPS1800.

One of the reason I don't carry this particular model is, it's more flexible to have the CM-LBPS1800 that you can use both battery back or D-tap connection.
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Hi Taky,

Thanks for clarification. I'll stick to what I emailed to you :)

Piotr
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #29
Major Player

Hi Taky, whats the price of postage to the UK for one of your Comer 1800's? I am very interested.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Steve, you can add item to cart and check out. At the very last check out screen, you will be able to pick different shipping method with the shipping cost shown. Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds