LED Video Light for Sony PMW EX1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #31
Major Player

Thanks Taky, just looked but $46 postage is B&H postage prices and the reason I don't now shop with them unless I have a large order.

I post out worldwide every day and postage internationally is only a few ££$$ more than domestic.

Thanks anyway.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Although the Comer 1800 is highly recommended here I wonder if anybody used the SWIT LED Video light S-2000 with 4 LEDs? This one can be directly connected to the 12V cable of the SWIT S-8U62 battery...
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I have the SWIT S-2010 light before. It looks like it's the same 4-LED light as the S-2000. It doesn't output much light compared to the Comer 900 or even 1800. It was 550lux at 1 meter. Comer 900 and 1800 output 900 lux and 1800 lux at 1 meter respectively.

I have been using the SWIT S-2010 light for a year at weddings before I have Comer. It works so much better than LP Micro. However, it is not still as ideal as it is 5600K color temperature makes it too blue to be used indoor. It also casts a circular spot that I need to add the diffuse filter to even the spread. By adding both orange and diffuser filters, the light output becomes very weak.

You can take a look at these comparison video. That's include the LP Micro and SWIT S-2010.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...ml#post1455457
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #34
Trustee

One thing to be aware of with any on camera light and the EX1. The cold shoes for the mic and the light are pretty close together so depending on many factors you can end up with them fouling. I've solved the problem with a K-Tek cold shoe extender that I bought cheaply some time ago. An Israeli arm kind of device would be more flexible but too heavy in my opinion.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:58 AM   #35
Inner Circle

The Lux specs of Comer lamps do look impressive. Anyone know how does 1800 lux @ 1m (or 900 lux @ 1m) compares to traditional tungsten bulb (in Watts)?
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Comer 1800 seems a good fit, quite happy with mine. If you've got one of the 3rd party batteries you can run the camera and light from it. The required cable comes with the light and in two lengths.
You can get more info on that light from the lighting forum.
Do all Comers 1800 - when switched on with the knob - go into the max illumination mode for a split second, before they settle at the minimum? Only after what looks like testing the LEDs at full power, the dimmer can be adjusted according to the actual needs.

This is a strange behaviour...
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I am using the Switronix TL-88 which is comparable to 75Watts of a Tungsten light. At least that is what Switronix says.
How many watts is the Comer 1800 equivalent to a Tungsten light?

The Tl-88 is very nice but is to big (Circumference) which spreads out the light so it is not as good for zoom distances. It is good for close ups or for wide group shots. It also has a dimmer.

Thanks
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #38
Inner Circle

According to Switronix web page, TL-88 Light Output: 800 Lux @ 1m, 5600K. When use it indoor, you will need to use the warming filter. That will make it less bright.

Comer 1800 output is 1800 lux at 1m 4500K color temperature. It's ready to be used indoor without any filter.
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #39
Trustee

Hi Guys,
I'm interested in the Comer 1800. Can I purchase this within Australia or do I have to obtain this from the USA? If the purchase is from the USA what place do you guys recommend I place an order.

I use a the Sony HVL-LBP light which looks similar to the Comer and the Sony uses the NP-F970 battery which I hope is compatible with the Comer. Can anyone confirm that the NP-F970 battery will work with the Comer.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Simon, we are Comer distributor in the US. I don't think they have a reseller in Australia. We can ship the light to you in Australia.
Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop

The Comer 1800 light is better than the Sony light in many ways. Comer is brighter (1800 lux) than the Sony (1200 lux). Sony light is not diffused which you will get a bright spot in the center of the screen and dark corner. Comer light is diffused out of the box. No need to use the diffuser. Sony is 5600K which the orange filter is needed to use it indoor. Comer light is 4500K which is ready to use indoor without any filter.

Worst thing about the Sony light is it ONLY take Sony brand batteries. The light won't turn on if you use a compatible battery.

Comer light can take all compatible L-series batteries including the NP-F970 battery.
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #41
Trustee

Thanks Taky,

Yeah, this light looks great for what I need. I will check out your website.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Taky Cheung,

Thank you for the information and sorry, I did not know that you sell them so I ordered from another place.

However, I will refer my friends to your store.

Jose
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #43
Inner Circle

No problem! Hope you enjoy your light =)
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Do all Comers 1800 - when switched on with the knob - go into the max illumination mode for a split second, before they settle at the minimum? Only after what looks like testing the LEDs at full power, the dimmer can be adjusted according to the actual needs.

This is a strange behaviour...
Could anyone answer my question, please - before this thread is forgotten again?

Old June 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #45
Major Player

Check out the Rotolight RL48E. Rotolight - Professional Shotgun Mic Mounted Camcorder LED Light you can purchase a 2 or 3 point lighting system, far more flexible, than 1 on camera light, for around the same cost as most of the single, high output lights available. I use three of these lights, 1 permanately on the EX1, and 1 or 2 on stands for infill and backlight. This form of lighting is far kinder on the subject than 1 glaring on camera light. The lights run for over 3 hours on 3 x AA cells, wouldnt go anywhere without mine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds