Time Remaining innacurate with color bars at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Time Remaining innacurate with color bars

Here's an anomoly I just discovered. I was running some tests. I put up color bars and recorded for a while. The "Time Remaining" indicator in the upper left corner of the viewfinder was very innacurate. I reformatted the cards, switched slots, tried 3 different cards, both SDHC 16gb & SxS 8gb. Always way off comparing timecode to time remaining.

Switched to live picture and ran all the tests again and no problems with time remaining. It matched fine with timecode.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Here's an anomoly I just discovered. I was running some tests. I put up color bars and recorded for a while. The "Time Remaining" indicator in the upper left corner of the viewfinder was very innacurate. I reformatted the cards, switched slots, tried 3 different cards, both SDHC 16gb & SxS 8gb. Always way off comparing timecode to time remaining.

Switched to live picture and ran all the tests again and no problems with time remaining. It matched fine with timecode.
Is the time remaining longer with just colour bars?

Remember the EX1 uses a VBR codec. Colour bars don't exactly require a high bitrate so it may be you get longer from this material.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Major Player

After about 4 or more minutes of runtime, the time remaining shows I used 1 minute
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Your EX1 /3 is a great audio recorder - switch to colour bars and input stereo sound and off you go - about 4 hours per 16gigs if I remember correctly.

Paul
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Sounds like a good tip, shame you can't turn off the LCD screen though.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Why not just close it?
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
about 4 hours per 16gigs if I remember correctly.
What fun! VBR at its purest.

I got to almost 7 hours recording (had to stop half way to change batteries) before I got bored and went to bed - IIRC 5 mins space still left on the card.

But with the changes to the limiter settings and other tweaks, I'd have to do much more testing before I'll completely trust it as an audio recorder. And at £5k a pop, I doubt it will make much impact on that market. :)
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Why not just close it?
That's hard to do on an EX-3 :)
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Good point - didn't occur to me, Paul :)
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Trustee

I have a Sony PCM D50 which does a very good job with audio, and it fits in my pocket too. However, the built in microphones are next to useless if there is any wind, and the recorder doesn't have a XLR input either, only mini plug. Can't have it every way I suppose.

Am in the process of editing over 23 hours of African footage - need to make a 20 minute DVD from it. Will publish something next week.

Happy New Year to you all

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds