Mapping audio when using s shotgun mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mapping audio when using s shotgun mic

I don't know if these is better answered by using the video editing software, or if there's an option to map audio channels within the camera, so here goes.

I'm shooting with a Rode NTG3, which is a mono shotgun mic. Is there a setting in the camera that will map the audio to the other channel, or is this something that would be better to address during editing? I use Premiere Pro CS4 and I'd like to round out the sound. I know it's not going to be stereo, but at least there would be audio from both channels. Thanks for any help.
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What camera are you using?

Every camera I've ever used is set to go to both left and right channels unless you set the camera to only record to one channel.

For example, most Sony cameras like the PD150/170/DSR250/300/400/450/500-the JVC5000/5100/100/110/200/250 and most all other cams of this type have a switch to record to channels 1/2 or channel 1 or by plugging into channel 2 then setting the switch to channel 2 you get audio only to channel 2.

I believe the XDCam series "switch" is in the menu but I might be wrong on that.

Depending on the camera you're using by plugging the shotgun into the #1 XLR input and setting the switch to 1/2 you will get audio on both left and right channels.
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Steve go to page 106 of the EX-1 manual or page 118 of the EX-3 manual. Read the section on setting audio options, it is explained there.
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much. I tried looking it up in the manual (it's very dog-eared now) but the terminology combined with the Jenglish makes it difficult to track down information in the manual sometimes. I appreciate you help.
Steve Pond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds