low temperature and the EX-3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

low temperature and the EX-3

I have a job coming up in two days and the temperature is forecast to be at a 25 year low in Mississippi. It is forecast to be 17 degrees during the morning and the high is below freezing all day. I realize that battery life will be affected and can keep a spare battery on the charger all the time. Also for a large part of the event I can use the Ex battery charger as a power supply. However, what precautions should I take with the camera. Would it be best to cover it with a plastic bag?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Ronnie Martin Page 1
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Search the forum there are a few threads on cold weather use. 15 Degrees F is not a problem for the camera. The search tool works well and prevents us from starting post that have already be going. Hope this helps.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ting-temp.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...d-weather.html
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul for the links I did do a search but probably just didn't use the right wording.

Do you know if it is possible to use the power from the charger with a battery on the camera?
I don't mean for charging the battery at the same time. From my shooting perch I have to run down on the track from time to time for an interview and I thought I would use the power from the charger with the battery on the camera during the race then just un plug it and run down on the track to do my interview. The ex-3 is such a great camera I just do not want to damage the camera by trying something stupid.

Thanks

Ronnie dirtracingvidedo.com
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hey Ronnie, see this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ting-temp.html

Written for EX1 but also applies to EX3. It might merge this one into it.

**oops -- didn't notice that Paul already has a link to it, above**

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes you can, on the EX1 and I assume on the EX3. The DC In appears to take priority but if power is lost, the camera will switch seamlessly to the battery. Note that the power supply will not feed the camera and charge a battery at the same time.
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Trustee

AFAIK the temp of the battery itself is only of concern when it isn't mounted and being used. I am open to being wrong of course.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds