DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   DM Accessories or VF Gadgets Shoulder Mount? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/470622-dm-accessories-vf-gadgets-shoulder-mount.html)

Ben Ruffell January 7th, 2010 08:16 PM

DM Accessories or VF Gadgets Shoulder Mount?

Hi,

Trying to decide between the DM accessories:
DM-Accessories - EX3-SHOULDER Shoulder Brace For EX3 Camcorders

or the VF Gadgets:
EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com

shoulder mount for my EX-3.

My rig consists of the camera plus Arri MMB-1 Mattebox with the Arri rod baseplate.

I need the shoulder pad to be easily removable. (In the field, quickly).

I already use a protech wedge sony baseplate adaptor.

I will continue to use the standard EX3 batteries.

Any user opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Marty Welk January 7th, 2010 08:49 PM

How about user questions. (good choices there).

I am looking into the same thing for the ex1r thing, after adding a Eye Loupe over the LCD viewfinder.
I want whatever i get to have the tripod plate still secure under the shoulder brace, so i can jump from tripod to handheld at a whim.

You want it to be removable quickly, what are the things you will want that stuff to be gone for?

Olof Ekbergh January 7th, 2010 09:13 PM

Please check out this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...r-pad-ex1.html

I am developing a few shoulder mount systems for the EX1.

I have an EX3 as well and I have a system for that as well.

If you are interested contact me.

olof@westsideav.com

Vincent Oliver January 8th, 2010 05:21 AM

I have been using the MKII version of DM shoulder mount for nearly a year and it is excellent. The extra security of a more substantial baseplate with the DM system is well worth the money.

David Herman January 8th, 2010 12:19 PM

I too am very happy with my DM shoulder system and especially the baseplate. I have Mk I. What's the difference with MK2 and is it worth "upgrading"?

Vincent Oliver January 8th, 2010 12:33 PM

The two differences are that the shoulder part has better moulding to your shoulder. The other bit is that the baseplate is now one unit - not two parts as with the Mark 1 version.

Is it worth the upgrade - yes I think it is.

Ben Ruffell January 8th, 2010 03:40 PM

How easy is it to remove the shoulder support on the DM one? It looks like a couple of phillips screws?

Also, I presume that the holes in the baseplate are all threaded so that rod/tripod bases will connect easily?

Looking closer at the web pictures it seems that the VFGadgets one has a single piece of foam under the shoulder mount, and does not look like it easily detaches quickly.

I am leaning towards the DM one.

(Olof - thanks for the info, but I need to order one quickly).

Ben

Vincent Oliver January 9th, 2010 03:36 AM

Yes, the shoulder bit can be quickly removed with a Philips screwdriver. I take it off when using the EX3 on a tripod. I would have liked a quick release on the rear bit, but I guess that may come with the MkIII version (this is not a hint of things to come)

Marty Welk January 9th, 2010 04:06 AM

Vincent, can i ask where you put all your STUFF that hangs off the back of these mounts, when you go on the tripod?
i am trying to figure this out myself. and when we dangle wires and boxes and stuff off the tripod it makes it a bit messy, and scary for wires pulling on things and all.

Vincent Oliver January 9th, 2010 04:16 AM

Marty,

I keep things as simple as possible, I don't have all that messy stuff on the back of my camera. The only add on bit that I use is a radio mike which sits in the cameras hot shoe, I use Sony batteries and either SDHC or SxS cards and that is it.

Regarding all the wires etc. I can see why people want to add on bits to enhance the cameras performance, but if you add up the cost of all the extras and the camera, then you might just as well spend that money on a higher specified camcorder.

Piotr Wozniacki January 9th, 2010 04:16 AM

Guys, just a little suggestion:

- when discussing various mounting options, please always state explicitly whether you're talking EX1 or EX3!

Thanks.

Marty Welk January 9th, 2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1469882)
Marty,

I keep things as simple as possible, I don't have all that messy stuff on the back of my camera. The only add on bit that I use is a radio mike which sits in the cameras hot shoe, I use Sony batteries and either SDHC or SxS cards and that is it.

Regarding all the wires etc. I can see why people want to add on bits to enhance the cameras performance, but if you add up the cost of all the extras and the camera, then you might just as well spend that money on a higher specified camcorder.

thanks
I couldnt afford the $28,000 camera i wanted :-( and the 270 which would have worked AND has a backup is HDV, and wont work for me. plus i gotta have at least 2, that is more than profit i make after accessories. but then i am eating top-ramen to keep up :-)

Vincent Oliver January 10th, 2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1469883)
Guys, just a little suggestion:

- when discussing various mounting options, please always state explicitly whether you're talking EX1 or EX3!

Thanks.

Have a look at the original post, Ben does mention the EX3 and the EX3 is mentioned in other posts

Ben Ruffell January 10th, 2010 02:34 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys. I have ordered the DM Accessories one.

Cheers,

Ben Ruffell

Derek Reich January 13th, 2010 09:51 AM

Hey, Ben
for what it's worth.... I also have the DM baseplate and shoulder mount for my EX3. I upgraded from the first version, and am extremely happy with the product. I did discuss a quick-release for the shoulder mount with Jeff at DM Accessories, and he mentioned that he was exploring a quick-release modification for the shoulder mount which would be compatible with the newest version of his base plate assembly. I haven't heard back as to when or if this might be coming, but it's on his radar.