Working on EX series focus assist system - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Sponsor: Westside AV

I would be interested as well if it can be remote mounted on a tripod arm or on used with a steadicam.

Would these be for both for EX1R and EX3 with standard or WA lens?
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #17
Major Player

Or adaptable to Nikon lenses?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Regular Crew

This device is only going to work on original Sony ex series lens although modifications could be made to adapt to other lenses and situations. I worked late last night on the focus stop assembly and managed to work out the kinks in it. Now if I can get my engineer friend to input the data I can get a couple of test units cnc'ed this week.

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Me Too

Larry it sounds good.

I too would be iterested in one. Please keep me informed

professionalvideo@gmail.com

Thanks

Greg
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Definitely keep it simple. There are plenty of high-priced options. Your idea of a simple, inexpensive unit has a lot of appeal.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I would be interested.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks for the interest everyone, yes I am trying to keep it as simple as possible although the last two days has been spent working on an element that does complicate manufacturing a bit. The aspect that I added is the ability to have multiple focus point tabs which can either be hit or passed over depending on whether you want to stop at that point or not by just a slight pressure on your index finger on the way by. This allows full tactile control for more than two focus points.
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #23
New Boot

Yes - very interested.
Paul Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #24
Major Player

larry
If that last mod is driving the price up, skip it. maybe consider it as an extra cost option to be added later
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Actually I think it is necessary for the proper and complete function of the unit, it is just that Edmonton Alberta has to be one of the worst places to find hardware. It seems to be all special order, one to two weeks out which would be fine if I could just get one or two of them so I can take measurements and finish the design while the rest is being shipped.
Besides, I hate it when I buy something and two months later they come out with an improved version at a lower price. Not that I'm bitter here with my EX1 which a few months later became the old model and was almost 1,000.00 more than the new and much improved model;)
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #26
Major Player

my feeling is that the extra feature isn't needed. might be nice for some but I've managed just fine for 20+ years without that feature. it's likely to drive up the cost and complexity.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Larry,
Count me in I am interested in a focus assist .
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Me too, Larry!
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Well I think I have thumb screws that will work being air shipped and should arrive by Monday or Tuesday. Production version of the components are complete, now I just need to clean them all up, tap and drill, and assemble. Then I will need to generate a demonstration video.

Once completed, hopefully mid next week, I will ship out two or three units for testing. If tests go well I will manufacture the first 50 units and get them out to everyone who wants one. As soon as I have some video or pictures of the product I will post them.
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Sounds good. I too am interested.

By the way, I lived in Edmonton for 20 plus years, before heading to warmer climes. I graduated from U of A.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds