Working on EX series focus assist system - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Update?
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Please count me in as a potential customer. I have a Zacuto follow-focus that is a great piece of kit, but requires the rods and baseplate to use. This adds a lot of weight for hand-holding the camera. I'd love to have a light-weight follow-focus for the number of times that I shoot hand-held.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM   #48
Major Player

I _really_ could have used this over the past week shooting a short. Lots of long lens, crash zooms and re-framing on the fly on very dark sets. Focus was difficult with little detail for peaking in such low light. Zoom on manual, for crashes, so I had to operate zoom and focus with one hand simultaneously.
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Sooooooooo, Larry, where did you go........? I have been going to your thread daily ever since your last post. I also, as with the others, would be most interested. But if you do not post again past your last long ago post about problems, I am gone forever. Hope you are alive and well and kicking, and OK?
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I am also very interested in Larry's product.... any pictures yet?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #51
Regular Crew

First I want to thank Barry for giving me a heads up by letting me know there have been fresh posts about my focus assist system. I also want to apologize for taking so long between announcing it's existence and the eventual release of the product.
Now a report on what I have been doing. I have not been able to complete the final design of the system as I thought in the time frame that I expected for a number of reasons. The availability of the machine shop and it's technicians and the fact that I suddenly got extremely busy with work to the point that I have not had a day off in weeks. The biggest issue I have with the unit it's self is the locking method for the focus clips. The way it's currently designed is with small thumb screws. Once it is slid to the right location you must turn the screw to tighten the clip onto the plate. I want to be able to simply pull back with my index finger to release a spring loaded friction pad to release it to move it around the lense then just let of pressure to lock it in place. Once I figure that out and get them made it is ready to go.
I have also been working on the button kit. I am having dies cut to punch out the button covers which make the camera much easier to use.

The third product that I have ready to go is Stabilant 22. I have 22 sample packs to give away as a promo. I will have details as soon as the focus kit and the button kit are ready to ship.
I have attached some pictures of the prototypes so you can see that they do actually exist.
Thanks again for your patience everyone.

Larry
Attached Images

Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Here are more pics

The buttons have a rough texture so your can feel them easily and your finger will not slip off.

The focus assist can be used in both full manual and semi auto mode. The stops are magnetic so you can feel the sweet spot as you pass over it and either stop or continue through if you have a complex focussing situation. The top and bottom one are hard stops though. The clips can be easily removed if you just want a couple of them in use. There is a fine adjustment by turning the pin on the focus ring left or right.
Attached Images

Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Larry,

As is the case with many others, I have been waiting patiently for further news about your
fabulous device. And it is now almost two weeks since we have heard from you. Is anything further happening? Many others and I would really like to know your projected target date for distribution, if you have one. An update would be greatly apprecieated.

Bill Urschel
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kelly View Post
Here are more pics

The stops are magnetic so you can feel the sweet spot as you pass over it and either stop or continue through if you have a complex focussing situation. The top and bottom one are hard stops though. .
Some serious thought going into this stuff, almost as if the inventor actually USES a camera, weird :-) really cool ideas.
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #55
Tourist

Hi Larry,

I'm also very interested in your new focusing device!

I've produced video product reviews in the past and would be glad to produce a video review for your products too.
Here's an example of a review I did some time ago for an MP3 player (which resulted in hundreds of additional sales for Cowon): YouTube - Complete Cowon D2 Review.

If you're interested, please send me an email so we can discuss it further (plberanek@hotmail.com)

All the best!
Pierre Beranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #56
Major Player

Yep ...

I certainly would be interested ... I await further developments. Good luck ...
all the best
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds