EX1 Shoulder Mount System - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Yes Barry - the bottom line is that for the first time, I can use my EX1 as a proper hand-held camera, and get smooth and steady picture!

My RedRock "monster" rig will still have its use, but only where I have the tripod around - so that I can rest the rig on it in between those very short takes I can take with it before collapsing ;)
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #17
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Piotr,

Good question. The way it works for using the on-cam viewfinder, is you swivel the back bracket to the right, so your head is in the right position to comfortable use the VF, and you also slide the camera forward all the way on your shoulder.

For using the LCD, you swing the back bracket to the left and keep the camera slid forward, so you have a good distance to the VF, I use a VF shade when shooting like that, it works well even outside in the sun.

For using the HoodLoop, you keep the back bracket straight back, and move the camera back on your shoulder so you are only using the small front bracket on your shoulder, this works very well, balance is perfect.

You can also remove the back bracket and just use the "lean" system if you have a Swit battery with a D-tap in the Camera. I like this a lot, it is a balanced and small system.
Does anyone know if you can use your left eye on the viewfinder comfortably? I'm "left-eye" dominant for focusing and I'm not sure it will work out for me.
Stefan Weiersmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #18
New Boot

yes you can
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Yes Barry - the bottom line is that for the first time, I can use my EX1 as a proper hand-held camera, and get smooth and steady picture!

My RedRock "monster" rig will still have its use, but only where I have the tripod around - so that I can rest the rig on it in between those very short takes I can take with it before collapsing ;)
Just got back from a spring break cruise with the kids and shot over 3 1/2 hours of video - used the Shape WLB Spider II system once but the rest of the time used Olof's small shoulder brace (not the one hanging off the back) along with the smaller SWIT battery and it worked out beautifully. The system is so compact I can put it in a backpack easily and carry around.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #20
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Weiersmueller View Post
Does anyone know if you can use your left eye on the viewfinder comfortably? I'm "left-eye" dominant for focusing and I'm not sure it will work out for me.
I have made a custom fit for one customer where the large shoulder brace pivots to the left, and it is working for him. I think he just flipped the eyecup.

Contact me if you want more information on this mod.

olof@westsideav.com
Westside A V Studios WEB Store
I also Skype, just email me to set it up.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 Shoulder Mount System-wavebanner.jpg  
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds