Patriot LX 32GB SDHC -Anyone Try it yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Trustee

Patriot LX 32GB SDHC -Anyone Try it yet?

Has anybody used teh Patriot LX 32GB SDHC cards in the EX1 or EX3 yet? They are Class 10 cards going for around $105. I've been using the Patriot class 6 1GB cards with only one problem so far.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The MxM adapter site list a type of 32GB Patriot as failing with their SDHC adapter.

MxM Express Tips – memory cards

I'm not buying anything except for Sandisk anymore.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I got a 8GB card last year to test with my EX3...and after a bit I got the "error" in the view finder....try at your own risk.
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Trustee

William, was that the Class 10 card? Until recently I thought that Patriot only mad up to a Class 6 card.

I did email MxM and got a really quick response. The card they tested was the Class 4 card. They have not tested the new LX series (Class 10 cards) but said they would test them once they were able to get their hands on one.

I may try to order one and test it. $105 is a really cheap price for 32GB. But then I know the old saying, "if it's too good to be true....".

Garrett
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Major Player

it was a class 6..it now sits in my Nikon digital still camera....
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
I may try to order one and test it. $105 is a really cheap price for 32GB. But then I know the old saying, "if it's too good to be true....".
If flash memory is much cheaper, you are most likely buying lower quality, error-prone Multi-Layer Cell (MLC) product with a high (4) number of layers. These products wear out faster, sometimes after a couple *hundred* write cycles per bit, but since there are more bits due to the higher capacity, each is used less often.

Is anyone complaining about Sandisk products? I'd buy the highest quality products, but like tape, there are better ways to ensure the reliability of the recording than simply buying the most expensive product. Nanoflash recording the HD-SDI out stream is an excellent primary recording medium while the EX1 SDHC is the backup. Though, if you're buying that, you probably have the budget for nearly the best flash cards.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Trustee

I agree Gints. The NanoFlash is what I'm currently trying to attain which is why I don't want to spend a lot on SDHC cards. That's also why I haven't invested a lot into SxS cards. I do have a few 16GB cards that have done very well and am probably going to try to make them last until I save enough for a CD. But even then I'm looking at a bunch of money on quality CF cards.

Just thought that I'd see if anyone has had any luck with these cards as a short term solution.

Garrett
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #8
Major Player

I would stick to the cards that are proven to work. When Transcend can't even keep their specs up to last year's production quality it seems that it is not worth saving a few dollars to have all the stress of will it? won't it work? with lesser known brands. It seems that some Sandisk and ATP Pro cards are the ones to use without hassle.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Major Player

transcend vs patriot both class 6 fat32 32K cluster
Read max 19402 19942 kB/sec
Read average 19165 19752 kB/sec
Read min 18913 19517 kB/sec
Write max 4114 12438 kB/sec
Write average 3816 9156 kB/sec
Write min 3073 5814 kB/sec
CPU usage 2 5 percent

guess which is the patriot :-)
this is just ONE test and test type, and does not define anything
i have used both of the chips in my PDA and the patriot has always been slower, but not terrible. but they both claim the same class, and the real transcend AND the real sandisk have always been faster.

Read max 19397 20067 kB/sec
Read average 19121 19841 kB/sec
Read min 18867 19621 kB/sec
Write max 2151 8862 kB/sec
Write average 2041 7057 kB/sec
Write min 1835 4066 kB/sec
CPU usage 5 5 percent

i would hope that thier CLass10 would improve thier write speeds enough to be a Usable video card, but right now i wouldnt BUY into that unless somone tested it first.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

32GB worked fine.

I used a borrowed one yesterday in my T2i.
Average clip length was 8 min.
Shooting 24p went without a hiccup.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Major Player

I now have the Patriot LX 16GB class 10 card and it works just fine, so the 32gb should work as well.
I used mine on a shoot last week, and I got not a one error warning and was happy to have a class 10 card.

hth....
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have used the Transcend Class 10's and they've been reliable.

I just shot a feature over 10 days and primarily used 1 x Patriot 10 (16G) and a bunch of ATP's. I did also use original SxS's (8G) and some of the older, reliable Class 6 Transcends.

Still, even with reliable cards in hand, I'm against using 32G cards with 2 hour capacities.

Am I alone on this position??

I'm not comfortable carrying 2 hours of valuable footage when it is easily offloaded, and flipping to a new card is so convenient.

I used to feel the same way about longer tapes. Didn't like them. And my paranoia was often justified.

I just want reliable 16G cards.

Perhaps there are a couple of jobs that justify very lengthy cards, but I've yet to do any shoot with a 2 hour take.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Major Player

A new 150x ATP 16gb has just popped through my door . I'm very much looking forward to testing this new card out as it promises much.
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
A new 150x ATP 16gb has just popped through my door . I'm very much looking forward to testing this new card out as it promises much.
I only use these ATP-s, both 16 and 32 Gb. Never let me down so far in any situation, overcranking to the max also not an issue with them. Using them in dedicated in MxM adapters, never remove.

Marcus, if you meet the guy who pops them through doors, please give him my address - he might pay a visit and pop something in my neighborhood, too :)
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
I only use these ATPs, both 16 and 32GB. Never let me down so far in any situation, overcranking to the max also not an issue with them. Using them in dedicated MxM adapters, never remove.
Same here!..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds