DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Advice for Teleprompter for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/470907-advice-teleprompter-ex1.html)

Steve Kalle January 12th, 2010 07:39 PM

Advice for Teleprompter for EX1

I need to buy a teleprompter for my EX1 and need some advice.
I have a Sachtler FSB6 and will have a Nanoflash, so I need to get a tele that doesn't exceed the FSB's weight handling (if possible). I prefer to keep the entire teleprompter package as close to $2k as possible, and I presume it will connect to a laptop.

Do I need a riser? I read that the VCT-14 works to rise it up and I will get it if needed.

THANKS for any input.

Bruce Rawlings January 13th, 2010 04:04 AM

I have the ProPrompter which is very lightweight, works well and software is easy to use.

Giroud Francois January 13th, 2010 05:15 AM

if you can find a cheap tablet pc, you got all in one.

Giroud Francois January 13th, 2010 05:26 AM

here is a cheap model that should fit any needs
MOTION COMPUTING LE1600 TABLET PC VIEW ANYWHERE - eBay (item 220538974460 end time Jan-18-10 08:44:33 PST)

Olof Ekbergh January 13th, 2010 08:25 AM

I have 2 teleprompters.

But a lot of the time in the field, I just use Noga Arm attached to my tripod head, I make a bracket for this, and I flip the monitor around and position it just under the lens. I have a sunshade on my Marshal for this.

This system works very well. I do a lot of work with law enforcement officers talking about safety, and they love this system. I can even set up to use it on a jib or on the SteadiCam, it is very light. You can't tell that they are reading just below the lens.

I use a MBP with "Presentation Prompter" SW, it works very nicely.

If you want more info I can post some photos.

Or contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

John Peterson January 13th, 2010 08:34 AM

I use the freeware EasyPrompter on my laptop. Works great.

http://www.easyprompter.com/portable.php

John

James Huenergardt January 13th, 2010 09:18 AM

I have a Prompter People 19" Prompter.

I love it. It's easy to set up and works great and is lightweight.

Steve Kalle January 13th, 2010 10:10 AM

Olof, I would greatly appreciate some photos. Do you sell the bracket you made? I have been keenly following your Nano and shoulder mount brackets and I will need the Nano bracket for certain.

Bruce, which model do you have?

Thanks to everyone so far.

Matt Davis January 15th, 2010 05:53 AM

Some questions to prompter owners

I'm currently hiring prompt kit with operator when I need it, but recent developments with one client means I'm now considering purchasing kit - so may I ask you prompter owners...

... how do you handle the actual operation of the prompt? Does the client drive, do you get an assistant to drive, or do you have a prompt-trained operator to drive?

... how much editing do you do during the shoot?

... are your presenters prompt trained? Do you offer prompt training?

... what controllers are you using for prompt software? Mouse? Button? Custom device?

... any issues with the built-in mics interfering with the hood preventing a good alignment between lens and prompt 'hot-spot'?

... if you're not using a mirror system, do you favour above or below the lens?

... has anyone tried the rather simpler devices that simply reflect a sheet of paper?

The last point seems to have a bit of charm, because I find that unless the person is prompter trained and a good presenter, a teleprompter generates quite a wooden performance. Often, most presenters just need a few bullet points (usually writ large on a flip chart over my shoulder) to keep them on track, but with the penalty of furtive eye-darts off-stage.

Olof Ekbergh January 15th, 2010 07:24 AM

Matt,

... how do you handle the actual operation of the prompt? Does the client drive, do you get an assistant to drive, or do you have a prompt-trained operator to drive?

I use an intern or a field producer. I can generally train someone in an hour or so and then I have them practice with someone else for a few hrs before the shoot.

We often have one person training the talent as well before they go on camera in the green room, if they are not familiar with how a prompter works.

... how much editing do you do during the shoot?

We often make small changes and additions during the shoot. It is very easy and quick.

... are your presenters prompt trained? Do you offer prompt training?

Answered above.

... what controllers are you using for prompt software? Mouse? Button? Custom device?

We use the arrow keys + and - keys and a bunch of shortcut buttons. Presentation Prompter for Mac is a great program in my opinion we run it on a MBP.

... any issues with the built-in mics interfering with the hood preventing a good alignment between lens and prompt 'hot-spot'?

I have a small above the lens Prompter from Q Vision, it works fine. It was made for Betacams, but I have made a special setup for my EX3/EX1 that works very well, I will post pictures if someone is interested. I also have full large studio below lens system. It is very bulky compared to the small above lens system.

... if you're not using a mirror system, do you favour above or below the lens?

As I wrote earlier I often use a small Marshal Monitor below the lens.

... has anyone tried the rather simpler devices that simply reflect a sheet of paper?

Yes, it is OK for bullet points but not a whole script.

Added note.

I find a small monitor or prompter screen is better for talent who are not used to reading a prompter, their eyes hardly move at all, but large screens can really make them flip their eyes back and forth, not a good effect.

Olof Ekbergh January 15th, 2010 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the "Marshal Promter", on an EX3.

Outside I use a sunshade on the monitor. This is a really fast easy prompter setup.

BTW you may notice the hand crank slider system the camera is on. I have a number of different slider systems I am working on. This one can do incredible slow dolly moves.

If anyone is interested in the prompter arm setup or the the Slider. I will be looking for Slider Beta testers soon.

Contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

Other Products here:EX1 Stronger Plates