DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   connecting usb fails (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/470982-connecting-usb-fails.html)

Ed Kukla January 14th, 2010 05:48 AM

connecting usb fails

I have an EX-3 and Clip Browser 2.6 on a MBP. The camera hangs up when I try to activate the usb connection. It locks up on the "USB Connecting" screen.

What's going on?

Olof Ekbergh January 14th, 2010 07:48 AM

What version Mac OS, and Sony drivers?

Do you have any other "special" usb drivers installed on the mac?

Do you have another USB cable to try?

Ed Kukla January 14th, 2010 07:59 AM

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Tried another cable, no go.

XDCAM Clip Browser is 2.6

Olof Ekbergh January 14th, 2010 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you have all this installed, see attached image.

You can check when you launch XDcam transfer in the Help menu.

Craig Seeman January 14th, 2010 09:06 AM

Create New User with Admin status, remove ALL login items (delete not just uncheck) from that account and test from that account. Make sure it's a NEW account and that NOTHING else is even started when you login to that account.

That will immediately tell you whether there's some conflict in the user or a system wide issue.

You've changed cables so it's not likely hardware (baring the camera itself having an issue). Assuming you've used the same USB port for other things, the port itself would be OK.

That may mean some software thing is grabbing control of or otherwise fighting for control or interfering with the usb "handshake."

Ed Kukla January 14th, 2010 10:56 AM

Olaf

Why do I need XDCAM Transfer? I'm not using FCP. I thought the USB would work with Clip Browser to edit metadata?

Olof Ekbergh January 14th, 2010 11:19 AM

You need to install the Sony USB drivers, it is part of that package.

Install everything from Sony. You can then ignore the Transfer program.

If this does not work then I would go with Craig's advice. It is pretty easy and a sure way to find out if it is your system or just some driver conflict.

Ed Kukla January 14th, 2010 11:25 AM

Sorry, thick skull is blocking part of your message.

What "part of that package"? Which package, XDCAM transfer or clip browser?

In the XDCAM transfer download page there are 10 downloads.

Thanx

Olof Ekbergh January 14th, 2010 12:27 PM

Install all the packages under Tools/Downloads on this page.

Sony : XDCAM EX : United Kingdom

Ed Kukla January 14th, 2010 02:12 PM

Proof positive the UK hates America!!!! I cannot register there and therefore cannot download from there!!!

I did download xdcam transfer (from US) and most of the components are not installed. This is getting ridiculous. I didn't get my secret decoder ring in the box with the camera.

Olof Ekbergh January 14th, 2010 02:47 PM

Search here:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software.aspx

This is the US site, not as nice as the UK one.
I am registered in the UK w/o any problems.

Once all the components are installed it should work fine.

They also came on a CD with your camera, though it may be outdated.

Ed Kukla January 14th, 2010 06:14 PM

I seem to be striking out. The US sony site keeps giving me a blank white screen. That last site linked has the transfer software that I already have.
The disc that came with my camera doesn't have the transfer software, only clip browser; an old version.

Most of the components for the transfer software I downloaded are disabled.

Olof Ekbergh January 14th, 2010 06:23 PM

SEnd me an email and I will email you a link to my ftp site with the installers I used to set my systems up.

I agree the Sony US site is really bad.

olof@westsideav.com

Ed Kukla January 16th, 2010 08:23 AM

Olaf
Thanks for all your help.

While I'm waiting for Disk Warrior to come in the mail & hopefully get my USB connection working; I have another question...

What is the longest run I can have with USB? If I'm working in the studio or on location I'm thinking I'll put the MBP in front of the script super and she can enter clip names, takes, notes during production using Clip Browser 2.6. Saves me running the card back and forth. I'll have BNC already run to client monitors plus audio; so one more cable in this instance is no big deal. I have a small USB splitter that may provide extra power for longer runs but I'm not sure what the specs are.

I think I'd need a minimum of 50' and prefer 75' to 100' total run.

Olof Ekbergh January 16th, 2010 08:36 AM

The USB spec is 5 meters max, about 18 feet. I remember this from somewhere, someone here can probably confirm this.

I think some cables come 25' long.

Try it out. You may be able to do longer runs with multiple power hubs.

Also ask a dealer. All cables are not created equal.