HDMI Output on EX-1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDMI Output on EX-1R

Does anyone know if the HDMI output of the EX-1R corresponds to the video format being used in the camera? If I'm shooting 1080P or 1080i, is that what comes out of the HDMI? Reason I ask is because I'm looking into a small portable LCD monitor with HDMI input but it only supports 1080i.

Thanks
Victor Matos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey there Victor,
I know when I am shooting 1080 24P my Small HD monitor says it is receiving 1080i from the HDMI and the same was coming out of an rental EX3 via HDSDI last week on a job I did. I remember because the director freaked and said " we are supposed to be shooting 24P." If you look to page 145 of the EX1R manual it has a chart showing all the outputs for every record format possible on the camera. So 1080P appears to use a 2-3 pulldown to achieve 24p while still outputting 1080i. Looks like 1080 60i and 1080 24p will get you to where you want to be. You got me wondering, and every 1920 x 1080 format shows 1080i on my monitor so I think you will be fine with your monitor. Hope this helps.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Mark thanks for the reply. I looked at the page and it says if setting is 1080/30p it outputs thru the HDMI 1080/29.97PsF,whatever PsF means. Can I ask what monitor where you using?

Thanks

Victor
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Major Player

PsF is progressive shot Full Fame in one pass video being piped as data down an interlace pipe.
Wapedia - Wiki: Progressive segmented frame
i always thought it had compatability written all over it.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the Small HD DP1 which I like ok but I am a little leery of the hdmi connector and how it will hold up to real world use. Just got home from my first job with the EX1R and we used the camera ops JVC 9" hd monitor which uses hdsdi instead of mine. What monitor are you looking into?
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

IKAN V8000. Ikan is coming out with a new monitor VX9 that will have HD/SDI and will support 1080P but the price will be $1100. Not in my budget.
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Mark, isn't the DP-1 monitor a 720P max capable monitor? How does it perform with your EX when shooting 1080i/p? Anyone else using a IKAN V8000 HDMI monitor with the EX-1?

Thanks,

Victor
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Victor,
The Small HD DP1 looks great when you are shooting 1080; in fact, it's higher resolution compared to other monitors in it's class is the main reason I bought it. DP1 resolution is 1280 x 768 while the Ikan you mention and most everything else of this size is 800 x 480

mb
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark for your input. I've been doing some more research and I like what I see from the DP-1.

Thanks again
Victor
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi guys, but what was the answer to the original questions? Does the EX1R output 1080P24 down HDMI if that's what you have the camera set too?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #11
Major Player

well i am not positive, but from what i can tell the HDMI is 50i/60i outputting, so it is compatable with all the stuff out there that expected a broadcast type signal.
so any other signals being output will be converted, because it is Digital, these signals can still be re-interpreted at the other end as what they are nativly shot.
when you pipe it to (say) a NTSC LCD TV its still gonna be displayed by a processing engine that will be doing . . . . well check it out on your living room screen, record it at slow motion and count the frames :-)

any P signals are still Progressive, even if they are piped down this interlace pipe, because no mater how you pump the data across it was still collected/captured without movement between feilds, slapping the feilds back together wouldnt change anything, so something like 30p wont look any different as there is still 29.970 FPS.
as far as what all happens to 24p i believe that it is converted too, but i dont do 24p, because i do video, not films.

want to get really confused? what is the video-card/monitor refresh rate on your computer? and how does that rate divide out to 24 Either? so when i play a 24p movie on my computer set for a 60htz refresh rate , what do you suppose happens to the 24 frames?

I would certannly like for anyone to Correct anything in this post that is not correct, cause that is my only understanding so far.

Last edited by Marty Welk; January 23rd, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The 24P in any 60hz output player/processer, including your computer will use 3-2 pull down. It a nasty way to make 24 fit into 30, or 60 fields if it's displayed interlaced. I am a bit of a theater hobbyist and only watch my movies on a CRT front projector with an 8 foot wide screen. The older CRT technology is still beyond what even the more expensive digital projectors can do and with the continual advancements and mods they are still getting better even though the technology was developed before HD programming. For instance my Big ceiling mounted CRT is currently displaying 1080P at 48 hz. for movies which is exactly what film shows you in a theater. For scope based film, 2.4-1 and 2.35-1 I run my PJ at 1920 by 820P at 72 hz. This optimizes the power of the projector without wasting band width on the black lines on the top and bottom. When watching HD Sat. I will run 1080i at 96hz. All of these frequencies optomize the image and handles motion, color, and image depth very nicely. Here is the link to a very interesting site where you can learn about all of the display end of things as well as how to set up a killer truly reference quality theater picture. They also have some digital to analoge convertors that remove copy protection and allows you to veiw bluray on olders analoge HD displays.
curtpalme.com

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Chuck, you asked

"Does the EX1R output 1080P24 down HDMI if that's what you have the camera set too?"

and the answer is no; it's 1080i

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds